You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seeking to Create a Rust Effect

One quick and dirty method would be to put an image of rust inside your text layer and play with the Emboss Effect a bit, see attached image.
My image isn’t meant to be a perfect result, just a sample of what’s possible very quickly. You will need to experiment to get it the way you want.
There are probably a lot of other, better, more lifelike ways which other people might add below.

Annotation 2020-02-14 094628.png

Annotation 2020-02-14 094510.png

@patamystic It may not work, but if the rusty hinge is clear (and large) enough to isolate into a separate image, you could try using it to create a Style.  Then you could simply apply that style to your text.  Should match perfectly.   @GarryP   If this would work, perhaps you could make Patamystic — being brand new — one of your very helpful videos?   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm a former Photoshop user and I used to know how to do these kinds of things in that app. But it's been several years and I just recently started working with Affinity apps. Photoshop has Pattern feature that would do what I want but I don't see anythign like that in Aff. Photo.

I'll try both of the methods suggested above. I enjoy tinkering and experimenting and these suggestions helpful.

You can make a reusable custom style out of that rusted metal hinge (see for example here: how to make a style). - It's overall the procedure I used here for making these rust styles.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

14 minutes ago, patamystic said:

The workbook has only a single mention of the Styles Panel ...

The online help also tells a little bit about the usage of ...

The creation of styles and their usability are available in all actual Affinity apps and the online help of the coresponding Affinity apps should at least tell some basics for those. Note however that you will need a vector shape (form), which you then fill and adjust with a gradient bitmap, in order to generate/build a style out of that then for a category in the styles panel.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 2/14/2020 at 12:40 PM, v_kyr said:

The online help also tells a little bit about the usage of ...

The creation of styles and their usability are available in all actual Affinity apps and the online help of the coresponding Affinity apps should at least tell some basics for those. Note however that you will need a vector shape (form), which you then fill and adjust with a gradient bitmap, in order to generate/build a style out of that then for a category in the styles panel.

Helpful. Thanks.