You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been trying to use the Emboss Effect to create a Deboss effect without success. In the attached picture, I'd like to create the effect of the letters being carved into the wood. I've searched the book and the online tutorials but haven't found any help. Any ideas how to get this effect?

deboss-me.png

Another method using nested images, blend modes and the FX filters.

I duplicated and then nested the original image into the text and then slightly offset the text to get a slight dip in the gaps between the wood, I applied the bevel/emboss and set it to Inner, and finally grunged the inner part of the deboss with a rust texture set to soft light blend mode 100% this kind of makes the deboss look more realistic.

1966162374_ScreenShot2020-02-14at11_02_23.png.79ffd9ab73b373b37133edd2b5ad0e84.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Perfect! I only searched for the word 'deboss' and didn't think of searching for 'engraving.' That is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

9 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Patamystic,

I think the suggestions in the following thread should help you with this.

Thanks

C

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Another method using nested images, blend modes and the FX filters.

I duplicated and then nested the original image into the text and then slightly offset the text to get a slight dip in the gaps between the wood, I applied the bevel/emboss and set it to Inner, and finally grunged the inner part of the deboss with a rust texture set to soft light blend mode 100% this kind of makes the deboss look more realistic.

1966162374_ScreenShot2020-02-14at11_02_23.png.79ffd9ab73b373b37133edd2b5ad0e84.png

I love what you did with the rust effect! That's going to be very helpful. Also, the offset to create the dip in the lines is a thoughtful tweak. But your image still looks EMbossed to me more than DEbossed. Thanks very much.

I’m not a carpenter but if you are looking to replicate what something would look like when it’s ‘carved’ from wood then I would guess that you first need to figure out how it is carved.
From my vague memories of school woodworking classes there are different ways to carve things from wood and different tools do different things.
Once you decide on how the shape should be carved you will then have a better idea of what the result should look like.
See my very crude attached image which shows how different tools and techniques remove wood in different ways, the shape being the cross section of the cut. For instance, an electric router may produce vertical sides whereas a chisel could give you sloped sides and a gouge will give you a rounded bottom. The ‘side’ and ‘shadow’ of the cut will be different depending on which method is chosen and so the method to replicate it will be different.
If you want to make it look realistic, look at how things are in real life.

Annotation 2020-02-15 092627.png

The only real difference between an emboss and deboss is the way the highlight and shadows fall, so you can create an emboss (the illusion of the surface being raised) and reverse the direction of the light to create a deboss (the illusion of the surface being sunken) This is best illustrated on a paper texture.

yqYH9F.png

In this example, the logo on the left has a Bevel/Emboss Radius of 2px and a light direction setting of Azimuth 135º at an Elevation of 50º The logo to the right has a Bevel/Emboss Radius of 2px and a light direction setting of Azimuth -45º at an Elevation of 50º Both are set to Type: Emboss but it's the lights direction that creates the illusion of raised or sunken.

Empress to Impress.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Embossing and debossing are methods that move (or squash) the material rather than remove it.
I don’t think a deboss effect (emboss but with a different light direction) will be enough – at least by itself – to create a realistic ‘carved’ effect.
I’ve looked at some Photoshop techniques and ones that produce good results use quite a few steps with lots of different techniques.

h_d: Yeah, they have a bit haven’t they? In fairness, it was a long time ago in a school that didn’t have many resources.

Best thing to do is the OP actually uploads or links to the effect they are after.

I've always known deboss from a paper perspective using stamps in a pressing machine to push the stamps pattern onto paper, hence the paper example.

Yup. I agree; it’s “give us a sample that you want to replicate” time.

I’ve seen some really nice examples done with Photoshop and it would be great if we could have one or two good ones that were done with an Affinity application. (I’ve found some wood carving effects done with Photo but they’re not quite as good as the Photoshop ones in my, amateur, opinion. Maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough and/or in the right places.)

I've been looking at real world examples, the majority of hand carved letters have the V cut, the CNC look pretty much like the photoshopped, so no natural variations i.e. too perfect. I quite like the "old bench" carvings with the weathering and porous wood and the moisture bleed from the wood soaking up the rain and getting saturated then drying out in patches. The hand carved lettering is neat but has an imperfect quality in the grooves, so you get texture from the chiselling, also, the end grain is exposed which most photoshop tuts miss out.

Good example of the nuances of real world carving.
briarwood.02.jpg

Lots to notice.

Wow. Lots of great information. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I'll play around with these suggestions and ideas but i may go the simpler route of making the letters embossed with a rust style so they look like raised metal.

Thanks for all the ideas and info.