You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Following the Affinity Photo Workbook (split)

<split by mod from this generic thread>

On 7/1/2019 at 4:36 PM, Patrick Connor said:

The changes were reasonably subtle. Follwoing the instructions in the previous reprint of the book still works. It's really not something that needs too much attention, we just checked that it could be followed in 1.7 and 98% of it could and the last 2% was tweaked.

Also, apparently the content that you can download is unchanged so one or 2 of the files contain a legacy adjustment settings!! I hope this is addressed at somepoint but AFAIK this work is still pending for the downloadable content.

Hi Patrick C- Just want to comment on the 2% 'tweak'.  As a newbe using the Book to learn the AP app, the 2% is a problem. If you are trying to problem-solve an issue while working a project it comes down to guess work... is it me or a change in product behavior?  I spent hours and extensive conversations before it was explained that the Text Layer cannot be chosen when Placing the Texture.jpg on the layer e.g. Search The Woods (Adding Texture)exercise. Other examples of confusion include- Layer>Duplicate vs Layer>Duplicate Selection and Edit>Fill vs Edit>Fill with Primary Color as directed in the Puregold exercise. An experienced user may know intuitively if these choices are decisive in the behavior of the Workbook narrative. A new user can only guess.

This being said, I am deeply impressed with the AP product and the Workbook content. I have learned a lot a have gained a great appreciation for the product and the skills required to to be an accomplished user.

Thanks-

• Staff

Hi PaulD,

Those passages/examples have not changed in the reprint and don't refer to the 2% tweaks to the reprinted book that Patrick was referring to. With that said the Search the Woods topic can definitely be improved to suggest to ensure a text frame is not selected (this was a change that was introduced in Publisher, that had a knock on effect to Photo). I will get this passed on to the documentation team.

The other two points you mention are still correct and can still be followed, they're just two additional options that were added during development, however they don't invalidate the steps in the book, the book will still give the correct results.

With that said if you do have any suggestions for changes that could improve the usability of the book then please do make a new thread!

Found I had to select Background and Mask to Rasterze to single layer. Same result when try to Paint back smudge however...nothing happens.

Try screen shot again. If it works 2-11-8:47 is 1280x1280 and 'Choose from files' vs drag and drop.

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 2.17.59 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-02-11_at_4_08.47_PM.png

Perhaps you have changed some of the Photo settings (Preferences, or Assistant) from their defaults?

The workbooks assume everything is default.

You might consider creating another user on your system, and using it for the workbook projects so you have default settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@PaulD Page 84 provides instructions to reset your workspace to the default factory-supplied layout, if in doubt or don’t consider creating another user account.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

On 2/11/2020 at 5:19 PM, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps you have changed some of the Photo settings (Preferences, or Assistant) from their defaults?

The workbooks assume everything is default.

You might consider creating another user on your system, and using it for the workbook projects so you have default settings.

Thanks for your response will reset and try again.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

OK Reset per instructions...noticed brushes and Refine specs where left as previously set in book?

Cutout Screen Shot 19.19- Created Mask from Refine dialog. To rasterize, I moved mask to under background and selected both layers. 

Smudge Screen Shot 5.41- Followed instructions... OK?

Disintegrate Screen Shot 2.36 Steps1 thru 5-. Mask layer created (from layers panel)but no layer selected automatically. Had to select both layers before Edit>Fill worked.(There is no 'Apply' button as Book indicated.) Worked correctly Screen Shot 9.04

ScreenShot 1.49 Step 6- White Swatch Selected, Paint Brush selected.... doesn't work? 

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 11.19.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 11.39.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 11.41.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 11.32.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 11.25.41 AM.png

• Staff

Thanks for all the extra information @PaulD

I have split this workbook problem off into it's own thread. I am sure @Sean P will get back to you soon.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon