You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

556 New File Panel Is Missing Recents

• Staff

Recent files has been dropped in this build (on purpose) from the "New Document" dialog, sorry. It is now just for creating new documents.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

28 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Recent files has been dropped in this build (on purpose) from the "New Document" dialog, sorry.

It makes sense. Recent files are more appropriate in the Open Dialog?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Recent files has been dropped in this build (on purpose) from the "New Document" dialog, sorry. It is now just for creating new documents.

Thanks Patrick, that's a shame as the visual reminder was so useful. I know it makes sense for It to just be for creating new documents. Maybe we will get a visual panel for the open recents??

On 2/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, haakoo said:

Thanks,was about to post a report on it because had several program freezes when clicking the recents button in the "new" panel.

I have had several program freezes when using the "New" panel in the current builds as well, like when trying to add or delete a template folder, so I don't think "Recents" was in itself the cause of the freezes.

Besides, as a few of us have mentioned the visual previews it provides is a useful feature. As for it not being appropriate for the "New" panel, just making it open an unsaved copy of the previewed file would eliminate that (to me trivial) objection & make it even more useful.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

just making it open an unsaved copy of the previewed file would eliminate that (to me trivial) objection & make it even more useful.

I agree that making a new document based on a recent file is a good idea (so long as it is very clear to the user that it is a copy). How many times have we all opened a previous document to use as a starting point for a new document, and then forgot to use "Save as" right away, only to discover later that we unintentionally wrote over the original? This suggestion provides a nice alternate path that would avoid that pitfall.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.