You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export is a DISASTER! Help!

Very new to Affinity, purchased all three.  Been working in Publisher laying out a magazine style doc, then went to export what I have to PDF and everything fell apart.   I choose PDF - Print and deselected bleeds.

The software can't be this buggy, can it?  I'm really hoping I've got something set wrong.   See attached files.  1 is just text wrapped around a transparent PNG, 2 is drawings done in Designer (from Publisher).  Please help!  People are waiting to see progress...

02.jpg

01.jpg

Ouch! 

@chrisborgman Any chance you can upload the .afpub document, or a sample version so we can see first-hand what's happening on export.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I can't right now, but I'll put together a public doc.  It's seems to be the Presets that are making a mess of this.  If I don't select any Preset, it works, probably because everything is getting flattened and converted to CMYK, or at least it looks like it's getting converted by the color shifts.

I'm working in sRGB and want to export a PDF for web (sRGB) but so, far, I can't do that.

You could ask a mod to generate a dropbox link so it can be off forum and they could take a look see.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi chrisborgman :)

I'm very sorry to see you're having trouble! Could you please upload a copy of the .afpub (with any placed images/documents Embedded) and a copy of the .pdf to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/DfMoA7BlWLasexi3AGLn

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Many thanks for your files - I've opened your PDFs in multiple different PDF readers/editors and in each it appears correctly.
It seems as though Apples Preview is the only app that displays the PDF in this manner, and interestingly enough the thumbnail shown for the page in Preview is correct -

image.png

I'm unsure currently for the exact reason for this, so I'll log this file with our QA/Development and respond here ASAP with any information we find :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

I've spoken with our QA team and we believe we've identified this issue - it appears to only affect PDF's in preview when they're exported to RGB/16bit. Converting the document to RGB/8bit and exporting again provided a PDF that looks correct in preview and elsewhere.

I'll log this bug for further investigation, to see if this is something we can fix whilst writing the PDF, as if the error is introduced with Preview then unfortunately it will be for Apple to fix.

I hope this helps!