You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image colours change when uploading to web

Hi

Firstly, I'm no expert on Affinity and there might be a very simple solution to the problem I'm encountering. 

I use Affinity Photo to crop and export images to use on my company website which is based on the Magento 1 platform. I'm exporting the images as jpg in size 2700x2700 and at 100% quality and then Magento compresses the images down.

For some reason, the colour becomes green tinted when uploading and the only way to get around this is to export in a file size of around 200kb which is sometimes 0% quality, so is no good for the website. I have tried at various file sizes and even a 1mb file changes colour considerably when uploaded. The initial conclusion was that Magento was somehow changing the images during the compression of the file, however if the exact same file is  uploaded from Photoshop, then there is not a problem. 

So in summary, the problem appears only on the Affinity files. 

Is there a setting I can use to export the file in a more web friendly format?

I have images of both the Affinity file and Photoshop file uploaded onto the website but cannot get the Google Drive url to work, so I have attached a link to the product on my website. Looking at images 1,7,9,10,11, these are all Affinity files with different profiles and file sizes and you can see how bright green the grass is. Image 6 is the same file exported from Photoshop. 

https://www.pavingsuperstore.co.uk/natural-paving-sawn-and-honed-sandstone-premiastone-maple-paving-slabs.html

Hope you can help. 

Thanks,

George

28 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

... and thus show correctly in color managed browsers.

It is also perhaps worth mentioning that not all web browsers manage colors the same way (or at all). That is why in general it is best to use the sRGB profile for web exports -- it is the 'lowest common denominator' profile least likely to be mangled by any browser.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for your help so far. I have checked the preferences/color and this was already set to: sRGB under the RGB Colour Profile and to sRGB under 32bit RGB Colour Profile. 

The file named _Dave is the one uploaded from Photoshop. 

I'm using Safari v 13.0.4

It looks as though the image was originally created using a Canon camera.

I've attached the same file here and by dragging it onto this post it has also changed the colours, so it would point to it not being related specifically to Magento. 

Many thanks,

George

maple_hero_2017.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Paving Superstore,

Looks like this is a CMYK JPG and Photoshop is exporting it out as an sRGB, i suspect because of the option on the Export window Convert Colour Space to sRGB.  

When you just export it from Affinity we honour the colour space that the file has, unless you convert it first.  So if you open the JPG in Affinity and click Document>Convert Format /ICC Profile and change the Colour Format to RGB/8 and then click okay.  If you now export that, it should upload fine, i've attached my export to this post and the Forums haven't changed and i suspect this should also work for your website (but you'll have to test that) :) 

a.jpg

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Paving Superstore said:

Is there a way to make this this default setting so I don't need to change it on every image I'm editing?

Not that i'm aware of.  You could always record a Macro of the Convert Format steps and run that when you open the image from this client :)