You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Textbox: Size to Fit

Apologies if this feature has already been suggested, or even implemented, but I cannot find either.

The feature is one found in InDesign and which I found genuinely useful: a 'size to fit' for textboxes. This would cause any text boxes to resize, whether it was an overflow or to shrink to the available content. I seem to remember it was Alt-Ctrl-C, but perhaps someone can correct me.

Size to fit is implemented, but with a little pitfall. Double-click the bottom centre handle of the text frame and the height fits to the content. I would recommend to do this first. So now for the pitfall: If you double-click the right centre handle of the text frame the width fits to the content, but APublisher tries to completely fill the text frame evenly, so words may jump to the next line.

I recommended to fit to the height first, because if you do this in the second step, APublisher tries to fill the height evenly.

If there is overflowing text, the size is not adapted to the complete content. There are no problems if the text frame contain only a single word (of course).

HTH

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 2/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, Joachim_L said:

Size to fit is implemented, but with a little pitfall. Double-click the bottom centre handle of the text frame and the height fits to the content. I would recommend to do this first. So now for the pitfall: If you double-click the right centre handle of the text frame the width fits to the content, but APublisher tries to completely fill the text frame evenly, so words may jump to the next line.

I recommended to fit to the height first, because if you do this in the second step, APublisher tries to fill the height evenly.

If there is overflowing text, the size is not adapted to the complete content. There are no problems if the text frame contain only a single word (of course).

HTH

Sadly this only works to shrink a text frame and not to expand it. And it's not possible to select more than one frame to do this. It would be nice to select several text frames to fit to content by a short cut.