You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to save document

Welcome to the forums.
It will probably help the Affinity team to diagnose the problem if you can tell them as much information as possible:
* OS and version;
* Application version;
* Where you are trying to save the document to (internal hard drive, flash drive, cloud drive, etc.);
* Whether the file has been successfully saved previously, and was this to a different place or not?
The more information you can give the better the help you can get.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same issue for Photo and Designer. Publisher seems to be fine. 

OS and version = MacOS Catalina (Version 10.15.3)
Application version = 1.8.1 for both Photo and Designer. 
Tried saving to = Google Drive, Desktop(+iCoud Drive) and Box with no success
New files not saved previously. New files started from your Arch D templates. 

Interestingly, I also used the Arch D template when creating a new document. However, if I create a "Custom" doc using the settings on the right side of the New Document modal, I **AM** able to save. 

I just tried a smattering of random templates, and Arch D did *NOT* allow saving. Others did. 

@Callum

I spent 2 mins on making a few tests in all of the programs and versions below:

Windows 10 Enterprise

• Designer 1.8.0 release version
  • Designer 1.8.1.604 beta
  • Photo 1.8.0 release version
  • Photo 1.8.1.604 beta
  • Publisher 1.8.0 release version
  • Publisher 1.8.1.604 beta

What a rotten bit of luck: ALL files based on whatever template under the 'Architectural' tab cannot be saved, ever, same error:

image.png.fb1907f1f2c0e43bf6b6507e14a39fe9.png

image.png.4758645d075f6d9e77f4df50ef1c05bc.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

So far I have only tested this in AD 1.8.1 on my Mac with a few of the Architectural presets, but not only do I get the 'failed to save' error & zero byte files, I also get a failure notice if I try to use File > Edit in Photo:

804196834_failedtolaunch.jpg.4b6c87066be2da68e3dbcfd0f4bd9c22.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Note that in another topic (Jowday's bug report), Patrick Connor provided a workaround until this can be fixed in the next beta:

View > Studio > Snapshot, add a snapshot, select it, then click the "new document from snapshot" icon.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Tony Christian said:

Hi, I'm Having the same issue:
Affinity Publisher 1.8.2
It was a file That I have been working for while, and suddenly that happen. And it crashed some times already.

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 17.48.53.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 17.55.49.png

Living_Fountais_or_Bronken_Cisterns_1-L.afpub 21.48 MB · 0 downloads Living Fountais or Bronken Cisterns 1-m ERROR.afpub 0 B · 0 downloads

What I am going to do now? I have to finish my work, but I cannot progress, because I can not same my changes!! Help me, please!!

14 minutes ago, Tony Christian said:

What I am going to do now?

I downloaded your document and had no trouble making changes and saving. This may be due to the missing EPS file on Master C. Check that and maybe replace it.

Living_Fountais saved.afpub.zip

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 hours ago, Tony Christian said:

Hi, I'm Having the same issue:
Affinity Publisher 1.8.2
It was a file That I have been working for while, and suddenly that happen. And it crashed some times already.

This topic is talking about a specific failure related to using the Architectural presets when creating a new document. Did you really use one of those for your Publisher document?

If not, it's probably not the same issue; just a similar one.

If you did use an Architectural preset, and you have Photo or Designer installed, perhaps you can use the same workaround I mentioned just above your post. Go to the Photo or Designer Persona, open the Snapshots studio panel, and add a new snapshot. Then see if you can Save your file.

I suppose, even if you didn't use an Architectural preset you could try that workaround.

Other than that, I can only suggest trying to Save As someplace else, in some different folder. And not one that has such a long path name. Also use a simpler file name.

And failing that, you might export it as a PDF file, which you could then Open later to recover much of your work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

This topic is talking about a specific failure related to using the Architectural presets when creating a new document. Did you really use one of those for your Publisher document?

If you did use an Architectural preset, and you have Photo or Designer installed, perhaps you can use the same workaround I mentioned just above your post. Go to the Photo or Designer Persona, open the Snapshots studio panel, and add a new snapshot. Then see if you can Save your file.

I suppose, even if you didn't use an Architectural preset you could try that workaround.

Other than that, I can only suggest trying to Save As someplace else, in some different folder. And not one that has such a long path name. Also use a simpler file name.

And failing that, you might export it as a PDF file, which you could then Open later to recover much of your work.

Thank's @walt.farrell I didn't pay attention to that!  My is a different issue then, just having trouble to save a publisher file without Architectural presets, But I will try what you said and let you know if works! 

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This is what I see when I open your document

1175007418_ScreenShot2020-03-26at9_39_48AM.png.9f0a13cfcc909d00aaadba48bf65cdf1.png

1869437782_ScreenShot2020-03-26at9_40_35AM.png.be04e26bdac5419c23183e9c7cf58026.png

EPS is a type of file Encapsulated Postscript.

Thank you, I did  replace that,  but still not working. It seems that is some change that I did in this last version, because my other versions that a save before I am able to save.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I tried, and that also didn't work. I realized that by going back to the previous version and making certain changes, then the problem occurs.

Well, I download Old Bruce's file, and in the beginning, that could be saved, but after a while the same problem return. But It is interesting that even though this message of error appears, a file appears in the folder, saved, but when I try to open it, it will crash Publisher.Living Fountais SAVE 1-m.afpub.zip

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 16.34.27.zip