You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

indicate a color profile in export

According to the manual it should be possible to set a color profile when exporting a document. However, I have found no such setting. It should also be possible to create an export setting that includes a color profile, but I can’t find that setting either.

The whole color profiling is a bit mysterious for me. Of course I do understand what it is used for, but how all the settings interact is less understandable.

At the moment when I develop a raw image, I will use the RGBA/32 (HDR) ROMM RGB setting. As far as I understand this will guarantee that I will keep the maximum color information in the document.

When exporting the document I should give it a color profile that corresponds to the use of the exported document. sRGB should be fine for web images, a color profile for Fuji paper (for instance) when I export a JPG to be printed. Using such profiles will remove color information, so I understand.

When I visited the website of the European Color Initiative, I noticed that they have the eciRGB profiles for digital photography, however these are not incorporated in the standard Affinity software. (I did install them).

I’m still trying to find some kind of publication that will explain how color profiles for monitors, printers, and documents (“JPG” etc.) interact.

22 minutes ago, grunnvms said:

According to the manual it should be possible to set a color profile when exporting a document. However, I have found no such setting

Hi grunnvms, the profile setting can be found when you press the more button in your export dialogue

To create presets you need to press Manage Presets at the bottom of the "More" Panel

ICC Profile.png

• Staff

Hi @grunnvms, as @Murfee mentioned above you can choose a colour profile on export under the More options dialog.

I'm not so sure about converting to a Fuji paper profile on export, however—my understanding is that you should use that during the print process (via the print dialog) for print colour management. E.g. on Mac, you have the choice of using printer colour management or ColorSync. With the latter, you can specify a colour profile, and that's where you would use the paper profile.

You can always preview the effect of the paper profile by using a Soft Proof adjustment layer, but don't forget to hide/disable it before exporting your image.

Finally, I would recommend against using 32-bit unless you have a specific need for it. By all means, use ROMM RGB to avoid clipping colour values (and then export to sRGB for web), but 32-bit is a linear compositing format as opposed to nonlinear. This means adjustments, filters and tools that perform tonal modifications will behave differently. Because 32-bit is unbounded, you can also run into issues when using certain adjustments or blend modes that do not clamp properly (although we're working on making this more user friendly). Improper clamping may result in NaNs (not a number) rather than colour values, or negative values, both of which may cause issues when converting to a bounded format on export. Unless you work predominantly with HDR imagery, 3D renders or astrophotography, I would advise staying away from 32-bit, 16-bit will give you more than enough precision for 99% of image editing cases.

Maybe this article on Spotlight might be worth a read if you're trying to figure out colour profiles and colour management? https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

Hope the above helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

Hi grunnvms, the profile setting can be found when you press the more button in your export dialogue

To create presets you need to press Manage Presets at the bottom of the "More" Panel

ICC Profile.png

Thank you. I was trying to export in EPS format, and then there is no possibility to set a color profile (EPS does not support it). At least that is what i've just discovered. But it is also not possible to change from RGB to CMYK

8 minutes ago, grunnvms said:

But it is also not possible to change from RGB to CMYK

It might be easier if you let us know what you intend to use the exported image for, somebody might be able to assist with a specific workflow or advise. 

It would depend on the file format you are exporting to they do not all support CMYK, TIFF does support it on export, you can change it under pixel format on the more button. I would advise caution with this as your colours will change. 

If you are printing at home then sRGB will be fine. CMYK is more for commercial printing. As far as I can remember EPS format is geared towards vector graphics rather than photos. TIFF, PNG & JPG are better suited to photos. 

As @James Ritson mentions above there is a Spotlight article that explains colour management.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies and contributions.

The document was indeed intended for a professional printer, hence the CMYK setting. The company that is going to print the (A0) document is using EPS as their standard document type.

I managed to get the desired output by first changing the document from RGB to CMYK, while using the appropriate profile, ISO coated V2. Then I exported the document to EPS.

I then used undo to get the RGB document back, and did the procedure again, but now with the PSO Coated V3 profile.

When that was done, I used undo once again.

If I understand  this correctly, I can use the 16 bit RGB setting combined with the ROMM profile for the maximum colour information. If I export such an image to JPEG and embed the colour profile, then such a picture should show up fine on any PC, assuming the PC has a colour profile setting attached to the monitor. The colour information will be recalculated from the embedded profile to the display profile.

Printing is another matter. I have no colour profiles for my printer, and as far as I know I would need to set them up for different paper types and print qualities.  

The Fuji profiles came from a photo book producer, who publishes them on their web site, so you can use them if you want.