10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

as previously mentioned JPEG, PNG, & TIFF file types are greyed out & cannot be selected to be opened.

Here's something I didn't know until about five minutes ago: you can drag and drop the greyed-out files from Publisher's macOS Open dialog into the Affinity Publisher window and it will open them. You don't get a preview of the file in the dialog though.

'Tis witchcraft Oi tells 'ee.

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

If one switches to photo persona it should open a image file.

It should, but at least in the Mac version it does not -- those file types are greyed out in the Photo persona's File > Open window (& in the Designer persona as well).

3 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

Well, to me d-n-d is the preferred because more convenient method - not just a "plan B" 

Drag & drop requires that there is enough available screen space to show both APu & the window that contains the object to be dragged into APu, or a feature like the Mac one that switches to otherwise obscured or hidden windows during the drag.

Sometimes neither one is the fastest or most convenient way to find & open a file, which is why we (should) have a choice that includes opening the file directly from the File menu & using all the features the OS supports to do that.

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It should, but at least in the Mac version it does not -- those file types are greyed out in the Photo persona's File > Open window (& in the Designer persona as well).

Nor does it on windows.
On windows you can split the screen with the win key+ arrow keys,isn't there an equivalent on mac?
Not a real issue for me though,have a double monitor setup 😄

9 minutes ago, h_d said:

Here's something I didn't know until about five minutes ago: you can drag and drop the greyed-out files from Publisher's macOS Open dialog into the Affinity Publisher window and it will open them. You don't get a preview of the file in the dialog though.

Nice find!

FWIW, you can get a reasonable sized preview if you switch to icon view, but it is still a greyed out view.

23 minutes ago, haakoo said:

On windows you can split the screen with the win key+ arrow keys,isn't there an equivalent on mac?

There are several ways to do something similar on Macs, like by using the App Switcher that you may have seen used in some of the video tutorials, but they are all just workarounds for something that should be available directly from the APu File > Open dialog, which gives users access to all the search, sort, filter, & hierarchal view options the macOS supports.

I'm not sure what equivalents there might be to those options in Windows File > Open dialogs but on Macs they can be extremely useful.