You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open image in Publisher

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

as previously mentioned JPEG, PNG, & TIFF file types are greyed out & cannot be selected to be opened.

Here's something I didn't know until about five minutes ago: you can drag and drop the greyed-out files from Publisher's macOS Open dialog into the Affinity Publisher window and it will open them. You don't get a preview of the file in the dialog though.

'Tis witchcraft Oi tells 'ee.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

If one switches to photo persona it should open a image file.

It should, but at least in the Mac version it does not -- those file types are greyed out in the Photo persona's File > Open window (& in the Designer persona as well).

3 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

Well, to me d-n-d is the preferred because more convenient method - not just a "plan B" 

Drag & drop requires that there is enough available screen space to show both APu & the window that contains the object to be dragged into APu, or a feature like the Mac one that switches to otherwise obscured or hidden windows during the drag.

Sometimes neither one is the fastest or most convenient way to find & open a file, which is why we (should) have a choice that includes opening the file directly from the File menu & using all the features the OS supports to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, h_d said:

Here's something I didn't know until about five minutes ago: you can drag and drop the greyed-out files from Publisher's macOS Open dialog into the Affinity Publisher window and it will open them. You don't get a preview of the file in the dialog though.

Nice find!

FWIW, you can get a reasonable sized preview if you switch to icon view, but it is still a greyed out view.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 minutes ago, haakoo said:

On windows you can split the screen with the win key+ arrow keys,isn't there an equivalent on mac?

There are several ways to do something similar on Macs, like by using the App Switcher that you may have seen used in some of the video tutorials, but they are all just workarounds for something that should be available directly from the APu File > Open dialog, which gives users access to all the search, sort, filter, & hierarchal view options the macOS supports.

I'm not sure what equivalents there might be to those options in Windows File > Open dialogs but on Macs they can be extremely useful.

Affinity Photo 

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, G Wynne said:

I've a new desktop with Windows 10, when I try to open photos in Affinity  from external hard disc I get 'No items match your search' even tho previous computer with Windows7 had no problem. New one only opens Aff pictures not jpeg or raw

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Can you provide a screenshot to illustrate what you're experiencing? Also, please confirm which of the three Affinity applications you're using.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, Although I'm really old please don't assume I know what I'm doing. I think I've just attached a screenshot of the response to my clicking on a file on one of the hard discs. By experimentation I find that I can open the pictures if I go to 'Garry's photos'; ' open with' when Affinity is one of the options. But this is not as efficient or direct as the original way I used. Also not sure of what 3 Affinity applications are. Thanks for your patience:   Garry

Screenshot 2020-12-25 130554.png

Thanks, @G WynneeWynne.

The 3 applications are Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and Affinity Publisher.

You appear to be using Affinity Publisher.

Also, my guess is that you trying to Open an image file, perhaps a JPG, TIFF, or PNG file.

Publisher does not expect to be used to Open an image file as it is designed to work with documents such as books. So, when you use File > Open it does not show image files.

Usually one would use Affinity Photo if one wants to work on an image file. Perhaps that's what you were using before?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Publisher defaults to opening Affinity documents only and hence will only show them initially

To see all files in your folder simply enter *.* in the File name: field at the bottom of the screen and hit the Enter key.

You will then see and be able to open image files

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.