You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open image in Publisher

What file type are you trying to open in APublisher? Or more important, why do you want to open an image in APublisher?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

49 minutes ago, David joy said:

...no items match your search message.

You are using the Search-Box (top-right corner) of the File-Open-Window?
I think, I have seen a posting somewhere here, that this feature may be broken. (?)

as a test:
try to locate the file in the listing..
you may use the "auto-complete" feature:
image.png.8394e8c1fc372d2b88129af64d4bf019.png

kind regards

Fritz

5 hours ago, David joy said:

Thank you very much,i will try that.Do you mean that the feature is broken in publisher?

Sorry, I can not remember the details of that posting...

you may also change the View of the file-open-dialog and find the image visually (?)
as shown in my screenshot above..

OR

Put the Windows-Explorer showing your images on the 2nd screen
and drag the required images to the Document Window or directly into an Image-Frame.

Note: this drag-n-drop method has a bug:
the rotation-indicator/flag of images is not always recognized = you may need to rotate some images manually...

kind regards
Fritz

kind regards
Fritz

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

You mean it doesn't show files with those extension through the "open" option.
Put in a * in the open name field and enter, it will show the image files and now you can open.

That does not work in the Mac version. In fact, even if I navigate into a folder full of JPG, TIFF, & PNG files in the File > Open window, all files of that type are greyed out & APu will not open them.

In the Mac version APu will only open files with the pdf, svg, or any of the 3 native file format extensions from the File > Open window. But it will open them from Finder's right-click "Open With" option, just like in Windows, so I think this is a bug.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, haakoo said:

This probably does not help, but Publisher cannot open many image types (TIF, JPG). Confusingly it can open some (PSD, PDF).

Not particularly "confusing". - PDF isn't actually an "image type" and PSD also carries a lot more information than a normal "image". They can both be used for full page, mixed content, unlike TIF, JPG, PNG etc.

To be honest I don't really understand why anyone would want to open an "image file" directly in a DTP app, rather than placing/inserting it into a document. (Which could be the same size as the image, if that is what is required.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Not particularly "confusing".

The confusing part for me is that File > Open does not work with these image formats but in the Mac version Finder's "Open with..." does, which means that not only is APu capable of opening them directly but also that it has declared to the OS that it can -- otherwise, it would not show up in the "Open with..." list.

Why anyone would want to open them directly into APu is irrelevant. It is the inconsistency that is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It is a bit weird. Secondary click on a .jpg in macOS Finder, choose Open With..., and Affinity Publisher is listed in the available applications.

If you press on and open the image, Affinity Publisher creates a single-page document, with no master pages, with the same pixel dimensions as the image, and with the image placed perfectly on the single page as a locked Background (Pixel) layer. 

You can also drag a .jpg file from a folder onto the Affinity Publisher icon in the Dock (or in the Applications folder), and the same thing happens.

As @R C-R says, there's not a huge amount you can do with it in Affinity Publisher in terms of image editing (although you can, if you have it, round-trip into the Affinity Photo persona via Studio Link). But it's not a workflow that I would choose to adopt :10_wink:

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

3 minutes ago, h_d said:

As @R C-R says, there's not a huge amount you can do with it in Affinity Publisher in terms of image editing (although you can, if you have it, round-trip into the Affinity Photo persona via Studio Link). But it's not a workflow that I would choose to adopt 

And that's probably why Publisher is designed so that File > Open doesn't let you choose image files. Publisher is a document editing program, not an image editing program :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just out of curiosity, @walt.farrell, I wonder if it's possible to drag image format files like .jpg or .tiff onto the Affinity Publisher icon in the Windows Taskbar or onto a shortcut on the desktop, and open them that way? It's a year or two since I last used Windows and I can't even remember if that's part of Windows functionality.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

2 hours ago, h_d said:

I wonder if it's possible to drag image format files like .jpg or .tiff onto the Affinity Publisher icon in the Windows Taskbar or onto a shortcut on the desktop,

To a shortcut on the desktop, yes. But I'm not having any luck dragging onto an icon on the taskbar, which just wants to pin the item to the icon.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And that's probably why Publisher is designed so that File > Open doesn't let you choose image files. Publisher is a document editing program, not an image editing program :)

File > Open defaults to not letting you choose image files but it doesn't stop you from opening them, you just enter *.* in the file name field to see all your files.

In fact, since I prefer to work in Publisher most of the time (even when just editing images using Studio link) I open most of my images like this now. Rather than opening them in APhoto then using File > Edit in Publisher to get to my (now) preferred image processing environment.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

File > Open defaults to not letting you choose image files but it doesn't stop you from opening them, you just enter *.* in the file name field to see all your files.

Apparently that's not the case on Mac, though, based on earlier posts.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

I won't be buying one of them then 😃

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

58 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I won't be buying one of them then 😃

The process on MAC is really simple.  Open Finder, choose the JPG you want, right click>Open in Publisher, then in Publisher right click on that Image Layer and unlock the image.  You can then do anything you want with it.   Please don't throw the baby (MAC) out with the bathwater!!😢  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

(...) right click>Open in Publisher, then in Publisher right click on that Image Layer and unlock the image.

this also works on Windows, but creates a new Publisher-Document containing only that one image.

@all:  Why so many work-arounds? just use drag-and-drop...

Fritz

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:
2 hours ago, carl123 said:

There is no file name field as such in the standard Mac File > Open window. The closest thing to that is the search field in the header of the window, which is sort of a filter that among other things can show files with a particular extension. It is supplemented by the sidebar, which among other things can be customized to include "smart folders," which are saved searches. Together they make it possible to show in one open dialog window all files of one or several file types anywhere on the computer.

The files can be shown as document previews or as hierarchical lists, sorted or grouped in diverse ways, filtered to show only specific date or file size ranges, & considerably more; including in various combinations that include and, or, & not logic to create extremely complex filters that can be saved as 'smart folders' & recalled with a single click.

However, while this makes it possible to show any combination of files you could imagine in the APu File > Open window, as previously mentioned JPEG, PNG, & TIFF file types are greyed out & cannot be selected to be opened.

In contrast, dragging any of these file types onto the APu application icon in the Applications folder or onto its Dock icon if there is one there, or using the Finder "Open with..." option does open those file types in APu. As mentioned, they open as single page, single "Background" layer .afpub documents sized to the dimensions of the image. (They are locked layers if that option is enabled in Preferences > User Interface, unlocked if it is not.) Moreover, once one has been opened it will appear on the File > Open Recent list, in the similar list that pops up from the Dock icon, & in the Dock icon's "Show all Windows" list.

So it is quite clear that APu can open these file types, just not directly from its File > Open window. There is no good reason for this limitation & several good reasons why that limitation should not be there. One is Studio Link, which should make it possible to open & edit raster image files directly from Publisher's Photo persona's File > Open window without having to run AP or resort to File > Place in a new document or whatever.

Removing this limitation would also simplify adding image files to Publisher's Assets panel, & of course there is no reason that once the image file has been opened in Publisher, master pages, other document pages, or any other Publisher feature can't be added to the document.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

@all:  Why so many work-arounds? just use drag-and-drop...

I hope my previous post makes it clear why it should not be necessary to resort to drag & drop or any of the other clumsy workarounds to open these file types directly from the File > Open window.

Affinity Photo