You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Infer LUT improvement suggestion

Hello,

Today I needed to colour match a stock picture with the still from a graded video clip so I hoped I could use the said feature. I have a pretty solid background in Photoshop and am no stranger to advanced editing, yet even after reading the help entry I was quite baffled as to why after loading two images no adjustment was applied to my picture. Your video tutorial has finally made it clear – however I instantly thought that this is far from the user friendly solution. There is no explanation which image you are loading first (processed or original), nor any kind of feedback after you pick either (there’s no way of knowing whether you perhaps had accidentally picked a wrong picture, as there is neither path nor thumbnail displayed after you confirm your selection). Right now I’m in the process of reading the “The Design of Everyday Things” by Don Norman and felt that this is a fitting example of a feature designed in a way that doesn’t reveal how it actually works to an unfamiliar user.

So I played with this window a bit and made a simple three-step Figma prototype that hopes to improve things a little. Now there’s a (hopefully) clearer indication which images are being loaded as base and processed ones (and an easier way to go back if you want to change your mind). I feel there should be some sort of a message displayed if you load images that can’t be compared – hence the third screen.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Matt