You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo high CPU usage

Affinity photo 1.7.3.481

Windows 10

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

16GB Ram

Affinity is installed on SSD

I'm processing .RAW from a Nikon Z6. After a few minor adjustments the program becomes unusable. I can't so much as use the scroll bar without the computer running at 100% CPU.

I've tried a few things in the other forums as others seemingly have the same issue. Any thoughts or direction to fix this issue is greatly appreciated. 

• Staff

Hi Ryanjdphotography,

Welcome to the forums :)

17 hours ago, Ryanjdphotography said:

I'm processing .RAW from a Nikon Z6. After a few minor adjustments the program becomes unusable. I can't so much as use the scroll bar without the computer running at 100% CPU.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble - Affinity always utilises all resources that we have access to and 100% CPU utilisation is what we're aiming for when required - such as when developing an image.

However I wouldn't expect applying a few adjustments/changes to the image to cause this, could you please confirm for me:

• What changes are you applying to the RAW file?
  • Is the lag happening whilst in the Develop Persona, or in the Photo Persona after developing?
  • How many RAW files do you have open in the app? 

Could you please provide a screenshot of Affinity Photo Preferences>Performance for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Apologies for the intrusion, but I've been dealing with exorbitantly high CPU spikes in Affinity Photo 1.73.481 with .jpeg (not RAW) files when using Denoise Live Filter Layer.

System specs are: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, 16GB DDR4, 2.50GHz Intel i5-6500T, Intel HD Graphics 530. I'd like to know what might there be that I can do about this issue. I'm also curious as to how/where to locate Affinity Photo Preferences>Performance so as to procure a screenshot.

15 hours ago, controlZ said:

... I'm also curious as to how/where to locate Affinity Photo Preferences>Performance so as to procure a screenshot.

Performance.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

Thanks for pointing out a setting that I was up to now unaware of, Greyfox. On checking with my installed Affinity Photo it appears that the settings on mine are identical, or at default levels. In this particular setting I don't however see any setting for CPU usage, which was the main reason for my post. It's the surge of CPU when using Denoise Live Filter Layer that sets the fans in my desktop to run louder and more noticeably. Is performance like this merely to be endured while using Denoise Live Filter, or is there a more hidden setting that can be tweaked to mitigate the higher CPU usage?

2 hours ago, controlZ said:

Is performance like this merely to be endured while using Denoise Live Filter, or is there a more hidden setting that can be tweaked to mitigate the higher CPU usage?

I'm not sure what your concern is.  Is AP taking an unreasonably long time to denoise or are you concerned that cpu usage is 100% while it does it (or both)?  @Dan C has already said that AP is expected to use all the resources available to it.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

My apologies for not taking particular note of what Dan C previously posted regarding AP's using all available CPU resources. I'd read of other users complaining about the same high CPU issue but suspected it was either my older Intel graphics or a glitch in the program's ability to play nicely with my system. If AP is designed to fire on all cylinders for certain commands then I guess it's a fact of life I'll have to deal with. Thanks.

I've reported several times this issue in the past. Only a few layers are already able to take the CPU to the roof.

The problem is not simply that Affinity takes advantage of all the CPU available but also that, at least in my case, the fan start spinning like crazy and the amount of noise after a while is unbearable.

As I said in the past, this only happens with Affinity software. The rest of the programs I use rarely trigger similar situations. Most of the time, even when the CPU is under stress, fan are running at normal speed.

There's probably something else going on. 

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

As you mentioned, the noise of the fan is the prime indicator that something is huffing and puffing, which typically goes hand in hand with the CPU revving up. I had previously neglected to reference this additional symptom, though the two (high CPU usage and runaway fans) historically go hand in hand. I'm aware that my system is a bit long in the tooth (6th gen i5, Intel "HD" 530 graphics); Luminar 4 takes an inordinately long time to both load and process images, which is a reason why I began to use AP more and more. I suspect as you do that there's a strong possibility that another process is a contributing factor. In the meantime, users with semi-antiquated rigs like mine will have to endure and suck it up.

4 hours ago, controlZ said:

As you mentioned, the noise of the fan is the prime indicator that something is huffing and puffing, which typically goes hand in hand with the CPU revving up. I had previously neglected to reference this additional symptom, though the two (high CPU usage and runaway fans) historically go hand in hand. I'm aware that my system is a bit long in the tooth (6th gen i5, Intel "HD" 530 graphics); Luminar 4 takes an inordinately long time to both load and process images, which is a reason why I began to use AP more and more. I suspect as you do that there's a strong possibility that another process is a contributing factor. In the meantime, users with semi-antiquated rigs like mine will have to endure and suck it up.

I've been following topics like this for quite a while now and I can tell you the age of your system is not an indication of how good or bad Affinity can perform.

When I started reporting these type of issues people replied they were doing just fine with configurations way below the specs reported in my signature, which means something else is causing the problem only it seems it's a hard nut to crack. For this and other reasons (lack of features or no foreseeable chance to see some requests get accepted - and, unfortunately, for some unhappy situations on the forum in the past) I had to give up on Affinity. I still check this forum from time to time with the hope that things will get better.

Good luck!

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

If you've been experiencing similar issues with a system which by comparison is a Lamborghini next to my Chevy Volt, then I don't feel so badly. Still, it stinks to have to put up with the constant stalling when in certain modes. And perhaps I'd be of a similar indifferent opinion if it wasn't happening to me; lesson taken and learned regarding support.

Thanks again, verysame.

In the past week, I've begun experiencing high CPU usage in Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher on a powerful 2.9GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 MacBookPro with 16GB RAM. 

I assumed it was another bad MacOS update (Catalina has been rather like Vista for me), so interesting to read people are experiencing as similar issue on Windows.

I will investigate further.

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2020 at 9:56 PM, controlZ said:

Thanks for pointing out a setting that I was up to now unaware of, Greyfox. On checking with my installed Affinity Photo it appears that the settings on mine are identical, or at default levels. In this particular setting I don't however see any setting for CPU usage, which was the main reason for my post. It's the surge of CPU when using Denoise Live Filter Layer that sets the fans in my desktop to run louder and more noticeably. Is performance like this merely to be endured while using Denoise Live Filter, or is there a more hidden setting that can be tweaked to mitigate the higher CPU usage?

On 2/21/2020 at 3:08 AM, verysame said:

I've reported several times this issue in the past. Only a few layers are already able to take the CPU to the roof.

The problem is not simply that Affinity takes advantage of all the CPU available but also that, at least in my case, the fan start spinning like crazy and the amount of noise after a while is unbearable.

As I said in the past, this only happens with Affinity software. The rest of the programs I use rarely trigger similar situations. Most of the time, even when the CPU is under stress, fan are running at normal speed.

There's probably something else going on. 

You will be interested in this.:D

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Ditto on the CPU cycles.

Sitting still, doing exactly nothing, just existing in the background, AP is using between 7.8 - 8.5% of the CPU.  When I move the cursor around (literally, JUST the cursor), CPU usage jumps to around 25+%, sometimes even going over 30%.

And when I try to do any actual work.., ha ha!  What a joke.  My fans fire up and things start to grind.

It's time for some efficiency code-combing, I think.  (Or responsibility deflection; "It's supposed to do that. Overheating and Fan Noise are features, not bugs!"  Ha ha.)

Still.., AP is great for text layouts, (with enough internet research, I figured out how to flow text around objects, which it does very well, better than PS, -and yes, it's a valid ask of the program for my style of comics art), but due to these performance issues, it appears that I can't cancel my Adobe subscription just yet.  AP is not ready for prime time.

Whatever.  You can have my $69 and I'm happy to see the otherwise excellent progress.  I'll keep an eye on y'all while you grow.  ClipStudio Paint was a buggy POS for a long time as well.

Oh!  And Paint Tool Sai 2 is coming out soon with touch navigation.  That's going to be awesome!  Nobody does brush mechanics like Sai!

Edited by thatcomicsguy

• 1 month later...

I've also noticed a similar issue with Affinity Photo and when working with raster layers in Designer (1.8.5, but I noticed it on previous versions too).

If I select a group of layers and try to move them around, I'll easily exceed 75% CPU usage and even spike to 100%; performing the same task with the same file in Photoshop does not exceed 10%. In terms of actual performance and snappiness I don't notice a huge difference between the two programs, but the burst of fan noise and heat is definitely jarring.

I note that this issue is particularly noticeable when manipulating layers (moving them around, setting opacity and visibility, etc.) and zooming; I'm not as concerned with CPU usage relative to Photoshop when doing tasks like running filters, blur, opening files, etc., but the spike that comes with common operations like layers and zoom seems excessive.

For tech info, I'm running Windows 10 2004, an AMD Ryzen 2600X on an Asus B450M, default CPU clock and fan settings except the RAM (32GB @ 2933mhz), and a Radeon RX580 (GPU rendering enabled); the file I tested was a 6600x10200px PSD, RGB/8, 5 raster layers.

Hoping this is something that can be investigated, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You get what you pay for, and I'm sick of this issue... I'm glad I'm still paying for ADOBE!!!!!

Even Gimp and Inkscape are more stable, offering a better and more reliable, working experience and they're FREE!!!!!!!

These "Devs" are just like the ones over in charge of "Djay" .. (I think its Algoriddym or something strange but similar)... their apps work BEAUTIFULLY on anything and everything related to APPLE... then you read nothing but complaints from PC users while the "Devs" sit there saying they can't re-create the situation... that's because they're sitting there waiting on their MacOS distribution to do it, which is won't... 

• 3 months later...

I have similar issues of 100% usage causing multi-tasking issues, itunes to sound like a bad DJ, to occur system wide. Very out of my mojo flow stuff.

The solution I could find was to limit the CPU cores affinity can use to 75% of available CPU power and my issues are now resolved.  

This is done on Windows by:

Task Manager > Details > Right Click Designer(or Photo/Publisher).exe > Set Affinity > Uncheck Desired Cores

Serif Affinity Suite is amazing, yes there are features that are not yet made, but for a single-purchase software (Thank GOD!), it is to the moon awesome value and performance that is really just remarkable. Publisher is a dream come true with the personas... anyway nuff my promotion, hope this helps.

image.png.d25507b64288725ba13c04a917fc76fb.png

Edited by ARKITECTONICS

Hi,

in this discussion everyone should be aware of two separate possible reasons for high CPU/GPU load:

1. Using all available CPU/GPU resources to provide fastest and most exact rendering of you images
  2. Waisting resources due to software bugs

As Dan C pointed out, most high CPU usage in Affinity is intentionally. It is the same use case like video editing, game play, audio transcoding. So it is no bug, it is a feature. Games try to saturate CPU/GPU usage to get as many as possible frames per second (at least 60-120). Affinity falls in this category, too. Rendering multiple pixel layers, filters, masks etc is very intensive, so Photo uses several tricks like showing an approximation first (to be fast) and a more precise results a bit later. Even if you only move the curser, Affinity may need to re-render the image, e.g. for immediate preview of brushes.

Have you noticed that GIMP does not provide instant preview for many effects? This is the reason why GIMP need less power, in contrast to Affinity where most effects are instant.

This feature was my main reason to switch to Affinity. And I‘m happy that Affinity is able to utilize the expensive CPU and GPU i dedicatedly purchased.

So your criticism to cpu fan noise is mainly  inappropriate. It shows Affinity- as a rare example- could actually use your expensive PC. 

On the other side, Photo still has some bugs which could lead to Photo freezes with 100% CPU. 
Only if you observe fan noise in combination with actuals rendering issues or App freezing, you have a reason to file a bug report.  Again, the issue is not the fan noise itself, it is the rendering issue or app stopping to response.

As Photo 1.9. started to utilize OpenCL GPU acceleration on Windows, unfortunately multiple issues came into light with GPU driver issues. Most of these issues must be blamed to the issuer of the GPU driver (or even users who never updated  drivers). Affinity might have its own share, but since 1.9.2.1035 OpenCL runs quite stable on my PC.

To summarize my point:

High CPU/GPU load and fan noise is actually the unavoidable side effect of a desired feature to deliver snappy performance by instantly rendering all your edits. I‘m glad that Affinity finally makes use of all available PC resources. It’s similar to buying a fast cabriolet to be directed connected with the air outside and complaining about wind nose above 250km/h. 

Please take my post as intended to explain, and not to offend anybody.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Definitely no offense taken NotMyFault, at the time I made my post I was running 1.8.5 and I was concerned over what seemed to be excessive CPU usage compared to Photoshop, especially when doing things like dragging layers around the canvas or zooming.

I'm happy to say that since 1.9.x my CPU usage and fan noise has been much better and more comparable to Photoshop, and I didn't fully understand the role of OpenCL rendering at the time of my last post; I personally haven't run into too many stability problems either with 1.9.2.1035 (Radeon RX580 GPU with recent AMD drivers), and overall I'm happy with how the program performs.

I hope everyone gets a chance to read through and update to the latest version to see if that resolves their CPU usage problems.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread and thank you Bokchoi for the last post.

I am having the opposite problem. The upgrade is causing excessive CPU usage and heating the computer so fast the fan comes on within 2 mins - even if no docs are open!

I reverted and no problem...except now I cant open docs I looked at in the updated version. No backwards compatibility like PhotoShop. 

Have a very zippy machine Dell XPS 9560 and can edit in VSDC for over an hour without this problem. 

Smells like a memory leak bug to me...😏

If anyone has a similar issue or has solved this, would love to hear it!

In the meantime I continue to use 1.8.5.703 with no issues other than the annoying ever present upgrade now on start.

• Staff
On 6/3/2021 at 9:48 PM, TKucey said:

I am having the opposite problem. The upgrade is causing excessive CPU usage and heating the computer so fast the fan comes on within 2 mins - even if no docs are open!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble - this certainly isn't expected behaviour, can you please try the latest beta version and let us know if this performs better for you?

If you still see the same issue, please create a new post in the beta section of the forums explaining the issue and confirm in this post it happens in both the retail and beta versions so our QA team can investigate this further for you!

Please note: files opened in the beta will also not be compatible with previous versions, so please make a copy of any documents before opening them in the here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!