You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Rename Bug

A bit of a weird one. 
When I create a new layer and double click the title to rename it, if I type the new layer name too quickly the app seems to commit to the new name before I've even finished typing it. 
This seems to be especially prevalent when I try and rename it with anything starting with the letter "S". 

For instance, if I make a new layer and I want to rename it "Skyline", I double click the default name "(Pixel)" and quickly start typing "Skyline" I only get as far as "Sky" before it commits to the renaming. 
So I end up with a layer prematurely called "Sky" and accidentally proceed to toggle all of the keyboard shortcuts for the remaining characters in the word "L I N E" while thinking I'm still busy typing out the layer name. 

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense!
Please let me know if you need more info.

@MEB Thanks for the quick response!

That's a bummer, I wonder why it's happening on my side. 
I've got the latest release version of Affinity Photo (not the beta) installed, on my late 2015, 21.5 inch iMac, running macOS Catalina version 10.15.2.
This bug only seems to occur when using Affinity apps (all of them do the same), but I haven't experienced it with any other creative apps like Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint.
It's not a serious bug, but it can get very annoying, especially when I work fast to tackle deadlines. 

Here's a short screen recording to show what's happening - you can see that the layer commits to the name before I've finished typing - sometimes I don't even get past the first "S", unless I give it a second and then type very slowly. It also only seems to happen once, so if I go back to rename any of the layers a second time, it doesn't happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArPR7s3FSQ

• 2 months later...

Well, ChristiduToit, you're not the only one.

I have experienced the same as you described. Nothing serious, but anoying, though.

(High Sierra and Mojave)

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

@RM f/g
I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad that I'm not the only one experiencing this, haha.

Do you mind sharing your setup (more or less)?
Just want to get an idea of what computer and tablet you're using - if you're using something similar to me then it could be an external issue that's impacting Affinity. 
For instance, if you're using an XP-Pen tablet (as I am) then it could potentially be caused by the drivers. 

Sadly I'm still having this issue, but I've just learned to live with it for the moment - for better or for worse. 

I'm on a Macbook Pro, mid 2015 with MacOS 10.14 Mojave.

Mostly with an external Apple keyboard, Apple mouse and Wacom Bamboo tablet attached. All wired.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

The same thing happenes when double tapping on trackpad (no peripherals connected).

• 1 year later...

Hi!!

I still have this problem (MacBook Pro 2022, M1 with OS Monterey), erratic close when typing to rename a layer (as described in other comments it seems to occur more when you type quick just when click to rename). I see that these conversation thread dates from 2020 and no more comments and no solution proposed. Did some one solve it?.

Weird and annoying behavior :(

23 hours ago, SebastianGinard said:

Hi!!

I still have this problem (MacBook Pro 2022, M1 with OS Monterey), erratic close when typing to rename a layer (as described in other comments it seems to occur more when you type quick just when click to rename). I see that these conversation thread dates from 2020 and no more comments and no solution proposed. Did some one solve it?.

Weird and annoying behavior :(

It's been ages since I created this topic, and even after all the updates since, the bug is still very much present on my side too. Sadly I've gotten  so used to it that I just treat it as a quirk, but ideally it really should be fixed and addressed properly. For me, for whatever reason, it seems extra prominent when (though not limited to) renaming a layer with anything starting with the letters 'S' or 'C'. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...