You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loading document crashes computer

Purchased and installed now twice Affinity Photo v 1.7.3.481 on Windows 10 notebook, with same disappointing result:

As soon as I open an image file, the box in the right hand top appears 'Loading 1 Document ...' and then nothing happens until several minutes later either the program closes and returns to the desktop screen, or it crashes altogether to a black screen, and I have to turn off manually with the power button. - I have noticed also that some image files will indeed open, especially if they are sitting directly on the desktop, without accessing any other folders. But it has also happened that they didn't open. So, it seems unpredictable which one opens and which one crashes the system. This is on a Windows 10 notebook, i7, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia graphics, and two 256GB SSDs.

Alternatively, I could install Affinity Photo on my Windows 7 notebook, but it looks like it requires a 'Theme' to run, however I do not wish to do this. Is there a workaround to this 'Theme' requirement?

Thank you for any help you can provide with this.

• Staff

Hi Affilab,

Welcome to the forums :)

5 hours ago, Affilab said:

Alternatively, I could install Affinity Photo on my Windows 7 notebook, but it looks like it requires a 'Theme' to run, however I do not wish to do this. Is there a workaround to this 'Theme' requirement?

I'll answer this first as it's a much more 'straightforward' response - we do request Aero to be enabled in WIndows 7, however you can circumvent this if required, please see our FAQ on the topic -

Secondly, I'm very sorry to hear you've been experiencing crashing. Could you please confirm for me:

• Do you have the latest version of Windows installed?
  • Do you have the latest GPU drivers? (outdated drivers are one of the highest causes of crashes in Affinity software)
  • If a file causes the app to crash when loading, does this happen every time you load this file, or only sometimes?
  • What location are the files stored when they fail to open? I note you've mentioned some files from your desktop opening as expected.
  • Do you see any crash or error message on screen when closing the app?

I'd like to request a copy of a file that is crashing for you when loading, as well as your latest crash reports. Please navigate to the below location from the Run Dialog. In this folder you will find Crash Reports generated by our apps. Please send us the 3 .dmp files with the latest Created/Modified Date.

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

Please can you upload these files to the following link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/teRnHbVtwfKHKABWa9MG

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank you for reply. 

I am happy to try the workaround for the Windows 7 laptop. This machine has rarely been used on the internet since setup, and is dedicated to processing photography. We are not worried about Windows ending support. Plus, we do experience terrible internet connection problems in our region, one of the reasons of keeping connections to a minimum.

Yes, the Windows 10 is updated to the latest version, and the GPU drivers as well. Attached are the files through the dropbox link, thank you! I am worried now to upload a fresh image into Affinity since it might just shut down again.

But sorry, I am unable to see dmp files in the Crash Report window, and all the three Folders in that window are empty (screenshot attached instead). 

Thank you so much for helping!

Untitled.png

Sorry, not to confuse the issue, but I should mention that the Windows 10 notebook uses the 'Classic Shell' of Win7 - so the desktop look is changed from the original Windows 10 look. Would this make a difference as to how Affinity Photo works, since it's so sensitive to desktop appearance?

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, Affilab said:

Yes, the Windows 10 is updated to the latest version, and the GPU drivers as well. Attached are the files through the dropbox link, thank you! I am worried now to upload a fresh image into Affinity since it might just shut down again.

But sorry, I am unable to see dmp files in the Crash Report window, and all the three Folders in that window are empty (screenshot attached instead). 

Thanks for confirming this and for your file. I've tried opening this in version 1.7 & 1.8 on both Mac and Windows and each time Affinity uses all available memory, which continues into disk overflow and either the app closes or the OS restarts itself. I've also tried opening the file in Photoshop, on Windows the same crashing behaviour was observed, on Mac the image did eventually load but this was a much slower process than expected.

The exact reason for this I'm currently unsure of, so I'll be logging this file with our developers for further investigation. It would help to know how this file was created and the workflow you have followed, as the more information we have on the file the better.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:57 PM, Affilab said:

Sorry, just tried the CMD approach for the Windows7 without success. Everything is entered as shown, and the window looks exactly like the example, but it still won't launch without the requirement for Aero theme blocking the progress.

I'm very sorry to hear this, could you please provide a screenshot of the command you have entered and the error message you're seeing?

19 hours ago, Affilab said:

Sorry, not to confuse the issue, but I should mention that the Windows 10 notebook uses the 'Classic Shell' of Win7 - so the desktop look is changed from the original Windows 10 look. Would this make a difference as to how Affinity Photo works, since it's so sensitive to desktop appearance?

In all honesty I have never been asked this before, but I am relatively certain the answer is no - there is certainly a 'larger' issue with the file you've provided which does not cause any concern regarding your install specifically. AFAIK, Aero is now built into Windows 10 and cannot be 'turned off' regardless of the skin/shell used to change how Windows 10 appears :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

8 hours ago, Dan 🦆 said:

exact reason for this I'm currently unsure of, so I'll be logging this file with our developers for further investigation. It would help to know how this file was created and the workflow you have followed, as the more information we have on the file the better.

Thanks for reply. This particular file is stitched from four files. First developed from four RAW images in Sigma PhotoPro6 with basic adjustments, then stitched in MS ICE. As it is an older file I am not sure if further basic adjustments were made with Arcsoft Photo Studio, however it is doubtful as it hasn't shown up in 'Details.' 

Regarding the Windows 7 Aero theme problem - I attach a screenshot of the CMD command window, and the subsequent box showing after I pressed Enter. Also, the program is installed in the correct Program Folder, so this is a puzzle! - I have also tried switching to the Aero theme, and the program seems to open and work okay, however, if I can avoid using the Aero theme, I would be much, much happier!

Thanks again for all help you might be able to provide!

Untitled.png

• Staff
13 hours ago, Affilab said:

Thanks for reply. This particular file is stitched from four files. First developed from four RAW images in Sigma PhotoPro6 with basic adjustments, then stitched in MS ICE. As it is an older file I am not sure if further basic adjustments were made with Arcsoft Photo Studio, however it is doubtful as it hasn't shown up in 'Details.' 

No problem at all, I appreciate this information and I'll be sure to pass it through to our development team :)

13 hours ago, Affilab said:

Regarding the Windows 7 Aero theme problem - I attach a screenshot of the CMD command window, and the subsequent box showing after I pressed Enter. Also, the program is installed in the correct Program Folder, so this is a puzzle! - I have also tried switching to the Aero theme, and the program seems to open and work okay, however, if I can avoid using the Aero theme, I would be much, much happier!

This certainly is strange! Could you please navigate to C:/Program Files/Affinity/Photo/ then right-click on the Photo.exe file and choose 'create shortcut' - this should inform you it can't create a shortcut in this folder and the new shortcut will be placed on your Desktop. Navigate to the new shortcut, right-click this and select Properties, then copy and paste the flag after the "Target", as follows -

image.png

Apply this and then run the shortcut - does this open correctly?

There's further information and a wonderful workaround provided by SrPx in the below thread, should you need to enable the Aero theme - 

Please do let me know how you get on :) 

As Dan C mentions, it is not to be set in console, but in properties of the Affinity Photo (or etc) desktop icon. In the "target" field, and the full *.exe file path and file, surrounded by quotes ( "  " ). Not the command itself, if I remember well.

Also, the actual command is :

--no-dwm-warning

At least, I wasn't aware about there being such other command, --no-hw-ui  (no hardware UI ?) that shows up in your console screenshot. 

The one I mentioned used to work well when , like you was not willing to use Aero. Then I discovered that reducing the Aero "cringyness" was a much better path. That one just linked by Dan C is one of several tutorials I made about the matter, but long story short: You only need like 3 or 4 Aero features, not 20, so, Windows gets to be almost the same if configured so.( Anyway... no more security patches now for win 7....so... )

But yup, you should be able to run it both ways, in Windows 7. Let us know if you would still find problems, here. :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Dear Dan C,

Thank you for this. It's disappointing, but it still won't open through the shortcut without the box stopping it. Just fyi, my Program Folder has no 'pure' *.exe file; there is the Application with the Affinity icon, and there is one .exe.config file which is only 1 MB. So I used the Application file to make a Desktop Shortcut and proceeded with that. But yes, it won't work. - I guess I have to revert to a method that uses the Aero theme whenever I wish to use Affinity ...

With regards to the Windows 10 notebook, I enclose a further image file which made it crash. That file was created from RAW in Silkypix and further processed through Photomax Essentials, the HDR program. - I guess when it crashes so severely that I need to switch off via the power button, there won't be a crash report created.

Thank you.

Dear SrPx, 

Thank you for your input. As above, the Shortcut trick isn't working for me either despite your clarifying the signs and symbols to insert. I realise the Aero theme isn't all that bad, and it's easy enough to turn sounds off and have solid background! The main gripe I have is the Microsoft logo in the centre. Of course, any of the other Aero desktop images will interfere gravely with the layout organisation of my desktop as I like to have my files geographically organised! And of course, a solid background, nostalgic from WinXP in blue (sorry!). If there is a way to remove the Microsoft icon I won't mind it so much. - Like I mentioned to Dan C, I will simply have to jump around between my personal, saved theme, and the saved Aero variation. at least, in the interim until I might get used to it. 

Thank you!

Western Downs Sunrise 96 - Copy.jpg

Dan C, SrPx,

Good news! 

I made another attempt at the Theme requirement, with the excellent result that it is working perfectly now.

I didn't mention at the first attempt the query where to put the shortcut did not come up. Instead it made a shortcut next to the Affinity Application with which I then proceeded dragging it to the desktop. From there I did as with your suggestion of the ...--no-... . This didn't help.

So I now again went to that Program file, Affinity Application, create shortcut. Again, it didn't prompt with regards to the placement. It placed it exactly as previously, above the Application file. Now, instead of dragging it away, this time I right-clicked it and selected 'Send to ...' and clicked Desktop. So, from there, under the shortcut properties I inputted the --no-dwm-warning and voila! everything's sweet!

Thank you so much for your help!

So, the only problem remains, the Windows10 crashes 😢.

• Staff

Thanks for the further image provided and information regarding this - the issue has been identified as a metadata 'hiccup' where Affinity cannot process the metadata correctly and gets stuck in a loop. This has been fixed in our latest beta and I've confirmed this in version 1.8.0.166 for Mac, so this will carry over to the 1.8 update for Windows :)

I'm very glad to hear you've resolved the Windows 7 Aero requirement - should you require any further assistance don't hesitate to post here or alternatively start a new thread as required!