You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zoom 100% Not Correct

chirpy

I am noticing an odd bug. I created a document at 280x70 pixels at 72dpi. When I view the image at 100% in Affinity Photo it is not the actual size. When I export the file as a PNG or JPG it is the correct size. I am attaching a screenshot showing the Photo doc (left) and the PNG opened in Preview on the right.

Anyone know why they are not the same and how to fix it?

Thanks.

photo-actual-size.png

Also, what is the difference in Zooming to 100%, Actual Size and Pixel Size. I don't see these explained anywhere in the help documentation.

I found this,

"For example, if you chose 'pixels', one pixel in your document corresponds to one pixel on screen; your document will display at its exact pixel size at 100%."

But this is not the behavior I am getting based on my screenshot above. Viewing at 100% should give me the same size document as what I export, should it not?

As mentioned in the Help for Zooming, a zoom level of 100% shows you document mapped such that 1 pixel of the document occupies one pixel on the screen.

On the other hand, Actual Size means that if your document is 6 in x 8 in that it will take that amount of space on the screen. In that mode each pixel of your document will require multiple screen pixels. To verify what Actual Size means you can hold a ruler up to your screen, and the document size (or the on-screen ruler in Photo) should match exactly with the physical ruler.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your reply. However,  I still do not understand why if I am viewing my document at 100% and the document is 250 pixels, why then when I export it, is it larger in another app, as in my screenshot? Is 100% not 1=1 pixel?

Basically, I am not sure why a Zoom of 100% is even there if Actual Size is what we should always be using to view something as it will actually appear on every screen.

12 hours ago, chirpy said:

Thanks for your reply. However,  I still do not understand why if I am viewing my document at 100% and the document is 250 pixels, why then when I export it, is it larger in another app, as in my screenshot? Is 100% not 1=1 pixel?

Basically, I am not sure why a Zoom of 100% is even there if Actual Size is what we should always be using to view something as it will actually appear on every screen.

When viewing your document at 100% in Affinity, 1 pixel of your document will be one pixel on the screen. Thus, if you have a 250 pixel wide document, it will be 250 pixels wide in the Affinity application.

But a document also has a DPI value (which should be PPI, but that's a different discussion), which is used for printing, and may be used for display by some applications, too. If your document that is 250 pixels wide has a DPI of 50 pixels per inch, then it would print 5 inches wide (250px/50DPI = 5 inches).

If you preview it with an application that wants to show you the document as it would print, it will display 5 inches wide there. And that may be how that application defines 100% zoom.

Basically, you cannot be sure how something will appear on every screen, because users may be using different applications, and screens may have different DPI resolution, and users may use different zoom levels.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

So as I mentioned, my document is 280x70 at 72dpi. In every other application, including Preview and Photoshop, the file displays at actual screen size, as it does in a web browser. This is not how it displays in Affinity Photo using the 100% Zoom.

I am just trying to find out which zoom option I should ALWAYS be using to see a document at the correct size.

Photo did not used to display things incorrectly like this until after this latest update. Did something change?

1 hour ago, chirpy said:

I am just trying to find out which zoom option I should ALWAYS be using to see a document at the correct size.

View > Zoom > Actual Size (by default, Ctrl (or Cmd on Mac) + 😎

-- Walt
PC:

• 6 months later...

Hi.

I have exactly the same problem. Currently i am cutting images for a website.
If i save the image (.jpg) and include it in the website, it appears exactly 150% bigger.

See the attached screenshots. First screenshot shows the with zoom 100%.
If i go to View > Zoom > Actual Size the image will be zoomed to 167% but that is not really correct.

When i zoom to 150% the image size is nearly the same as in the browser.

In Photoshop, as the previous speaker said, the size is exactly the size I expect in the browser.

Question: How can I set Affinity so that I can also see the expected size at 100%?

Hint: I use Windows. 

2screen.PNG

1screen.PNG

Edited by espiat