You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Workbook Puregold Project

Stuck on project... what am I doing wrong?

Smudge page 396- See Screen Shot 2:05:44: Smudging works fine if Mask Layer (Rasterized) is invisible. Note background is shown in image although Book shows image as Cutout with White Matte? If Mask Layer is made visible, smudging only covers body...not the desired effect.

Continuing to the Disintegrate Effect page 398- see Screen Shot 4:47: Step 5 appears OK, but cannot paint back in Step 6. 

See Screen Shot 17:59.

P.S.  Should this topic be in the Tutorials Forum instead of here?

P.P.S Screen Shot uploads not working since Forum Upgrade. If anyone can offer help from my narrative... much appreciated!

• Staff
15 hours ago, PaulD said:

Smudge page 396- See Screen Shot 2:05:44: Smudging works fine if Mask Layer (Rasterized) is invisible. Note background is shown in image although Book shows image as Cutout with White Matte? If Mask Layer is made visible, smudging only covers body...not the desired effect.

This is working as expected for myself.  How many layers have you got at this point?  You should have two, one called Smudge and one called Disintegrate.  It sounds like you might have these layers the wrong way round.  Could really do with seeing a screenshot, try resizing your screenshots so they are no wider than 2000 pixels and try uploading them again :) 

You've posted this in the correct place, the Tutorials section is for people share their own created tutorials.

Thanks Stokerg for your response.

I will try to send the re-sized Screen shots as you suggest. Size restriction must be new with upgrade. Didn't have this problem before.

I do have additional layers... don't know what I am missing in narrative...:/.

Changed screen shots to 1920x1920px. Still failed. Checked screen shot function on other site and worked fine.

Screen Shot 05:44- When I do Smudge, I have three layers in panel... Smudge, Disintegrate (unchecked) and the Mask Layer (rasterized) is the third layer and is unchecked. It is the top Layer. When I do Layers>Rasterize in previous step nothing visible happens?

Screen Shot 14:47- Mask is still unchecked and is top Layer. Disintegrate and its Mask are visible as well as Smudge and its layer. Disintegrate Mask Layer is chosen layer.

Screen Shot 17:59- Mask is still unchecked on top of Layers. Disintegrate and its Mask are visible as well as Smudge and its layer. Smudge Mask Layer is chosen layer.

Hope this helps...:/

try using https://imgbb.com/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 hours ago, stokerg said:

How many layers have you got at this point?  You should have two, one called Smudge and one called Disintegrate. 

In my copy of the workbook, the Smudge section begins on page 394. On the prior page (393 for me) the author of the article explains that he created the mask layer for later use but realized that it was not needed so he flattened the image to a single layer using Layer > Rasterize

This is consistent with what the Layers panel picture shows on my page 394, which is what the panel should look like after step 1 on that page is completed (renaming & duplicating), resulting in just two layers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have two layers as you say. I created the Smudge Layer by selecting the background and Mask layer then Rasterizing and naming it Smudge.Duplicated and named new layer (second layer in stack) and named it Disintegrate and deselected it.  Created mask under Smudge and smudged successfully.Did Edit>fill  as directed. Made Disintegrate visible and created mask. Painted in white successfully. When I go back to Smudge Layer to paint back smudge...nothing happens.

Will reset app to defaults and try again.

Thanks for your continued interest.