You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and Drop into Affinity Photo?

The latest version of Affinity Photo would crash whenever I started it up. I did a search to see if anyone else was having the same problem, and it turns out starting the program in Administrator mode fixed the issue.

However, ever since I started running in admin mode, I can no longer drag images from explorer into Affinity Photo.

When I try to, I just see the black circle with a line through it as the cursor shape, Anybody know what causes this?

(Latest version of Photo in Windows 10)

My guess is that it's some sort of Windows security measure to protect the system when you try to drop something onto a program that you have specifically run as administrator.

My recommendtion: Photo should not be crashing. Rather than finding a workaround and ignoring the crash, you should figure out what is causing the crash and fix that. I would start with the hints in this FAQ entry.

If those don't help, then I suggest you run Photo normally, collect the crash report, and start a new topic in the Photo Bugs forum to describe the problem and provide the crash report to Serif. For assistance in finding the crash report, you can refer to this FAQ entry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, good idea.

I did some poking around for a while and was able to find out which 3rd party program was causing the trouble. It's Actual Windows Manager.

This is a program I've used for years, so apparently something has changed at some point. I could just exclude Affinity Photo from AWM, but was curious to find out what was going on. Apparently, it's actually the startup panel. (The popup panel that asks you what you want to do when you first start Photo.)

When I unchecked the box (so it doesn't come up anymore) Photo doesn't crash, even though it's still being affected by AWM. So I'll just leave that so it doesn't open.

Exactly the same thing was happening with Affinity Designer, and the same fix worked.

(And drag and drop is working again, yay!)

Glad to hear it's working. :)

@Leigh: Possibly the 3rd-party software FAQ post should include Actual Windows Manager?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome, Leigh :)

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
On 2/10/2020 at 7:29 PM, Cybergooch said:

The latest version of Affinity Photo would crash whenever I started it up. I did a search to see if anyone else was having the same problem, and it turns out starting the program in Administrator mode fixed the issue.

Is it possible to send me your Crash Reports so that I can look into this further? 

• 4 months later...

Here to report that Actual Multiple Monitors is causing Affinity Designer and Publisher to close on startup, but not Photo for whatever reason. The fix I'll have to rely on for the time being is using the "pause" Actual Multiple Monitors feature, load the Affinity program, then resume AMM. I suggest that the devs try it for themselves to reproduce this. That can be done with the trial version of course.

Edit: Ah, looking at the previous replies I see I can exclude Affinity from AMM. (Different program, but this feature seems to be the same.) Guess that'll fix it then.

Edited by Mantis

I just want to confirm, that Affinity Designer does have a problem with Actual Window Manager.

When starting Designer it starts up but when opening the splash screen Designer closes down again.
If starting Designer by double clicking an .afdesign file Designer opens as expected (my guess: because the splash screen isn't loaded).

Adding Designer to the exclusion list of Actual Window Manager solves this problem.

Photo and Publisher has the same problem when starting; adding these programs to the exclusion list of Actual Window Manager solves the problem.

Could we perhaps talk you guys at Affinity into having a chat with the guys over at Actual Tools to see if you can come up with a solution?

Thank you.

Edited by Vargr
Gave wrong name for the Actual Window Manager program...

• Staff
On 6/23/2020 at 6:18 AM, Vargr said:

I just want to confirm, that Affinity Designer does have a problem with Actual Window Manager.

When starting Designer it starts up but when opening the splash screen Designer closes down again.
If starting Designer by double clicking an .afdesign file Designer opens as expected (my guess: because the splash screen isn't loaded).

Adding Designer to the exclusion list of Actual Window Manager solves this problem.

Photo and Publisher has the same problem when starting; adding these programs to the exclusion list of Actual Window Manager solves the problem.

Could we perhaps talk you guys at Affinity into having a chat with the guys over at Actual Tools to see if you can come up with a solution?

Thank you.

Thanks for confirming. We've had a similar issue with RivaTuner and our developers suggested that it should be reported to the developers of the offending app. I would suggest that you make Actual Tools aware on their Support Forum here: https://www.actualtools.com/forum/list.php?FID=10

Didn't realise that Actual Window Manager is a whole suite of their software. (Whereas I only have one of them.) Same version number so I'm just going to assume that whatever comes from this will apply to my software too. 🤔

• Staff
13 hours ago, Vargr said:

I have just made a new topic in the forum for Actual Tools regarding this issue.

At least there is an easy work-around - exclude the splash screen and Affinity Proper can make full use of Actual Window Manager.

Nice! Keep us updated :)

• 4 weeks later...