You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection Brush Tool -- adjustment is shifted to the right and down

Problem (Affinity Photo): the Adjustment Layer changes are offset from the selected area.

I'm trying to darken my reflection in a window so selected the area with the 'Selection Brush Tool' and then created a 'Brightness/Contrast' adjustment layer to darken my reflection. As (I hope) you can see in the attached screen-shot, the shape of the adjustment is identical to the selected area but is offset to the right and down. This is totally repeatable. Same behavior with other adjustment layers (e.g. HSL). I suppose it's something I'm doing wrong but hard to imagine what/how. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.58.25 AM.png

• Affinity Designer 2.4.2
  • Affinity Photo 2.4.2
  • Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Sonoma v14.4.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

hello @afdojo ,
I can only surmise, that you did the  selection as a new layer duplicated.
Your must protect the layer (selection), to prevent that the layer is shifted.

I hope it helps

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Well, thanks but I don't have any duplicated layers -- shifted or otherwise. I do have 'Perspective' and 'Lens Distortion' adjustment layers. It's almost like the selection applies to one layer and adjustment (i.e. darkening) to another. So weird. To be honest, I don't really care at the moment what's happening or the root cause. If anyone has any tips or a pointer on how to "hide" something (i.e. my reflected image in the glass), that would be great.

BTW -- I have read the "Selection Brush Tool" section of Help and watched several of the tutorial videos looking for some way to select/mask/hide an image area, I haven't found anything yet. Although I've completely switched from Adobe to Affinity Publisher/Photo/Designer, there are a few cases where Adobe Lightroom is simpler to use. I think this is one.

• Affinity Photo 2.4.2

Try disabling the Perspective and Lens Distortion Live Filter layers, then selecting and darkening, then re-enabling the two live filters.. 

As far as I can see, the Selection Brush Tool works on the position of the original image, not the distorted version. I don't know if that's by accident or by design.

Cheers,

H

EDIT: actually, I think you may need to Merge Visible to create a flattened version of the image before selecting and darkening. I'm still fiddling to see if there's a better way.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff

Hi afdojo :)

Could you please provide a copy of your .afphoto file so I can investigate this further? Thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

OK, an .afphoto file is attached. I simply added a Perspective layer to 'stretch' the top of the image. You can use the "Inpainting Brush Tool" to easily see the mis-alignment.

004.afphoto

• Affinity Photo 2.4.2

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Thanks for your file, as described in the threads Carl has linked to, you need to merge/rasterise the Perspective layer before using any additional tools if you wish for them to remain aligned. You can either double click the Adjustment layer and select Merge, or if you want a less destructive option you can right-click the Pixel layer and select Merge Visible - this will create a new pixel layer with the perspective adjustment rasterised against it, as shown in my following screen recording:

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks. As Chris/QA notes, this behavior is by design. That's disappointing, One of the things I love about the Affinity products is how intuitive they are. I actually bought the books but never use them. After watching the tutorials, I can pretty much figure out how to do anything I want. At the least, this behavior should be clearly documented. It's very confusing and sure looks like a bug (IMHO).

• Affinity Photo 2.4.2