You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving the rectangular marquee in Affinity Photo

Hi. I've just bought Photo with a view to migrating from Photoshop, which I've been using for years.

One of the things I do a lot in Photoshop is select the whole image (Cmd-a) and then shift it one pixel at a time using the arrow keys.

When I try to do this in Affinity Photo, the marquee hardly moves at all when using the up or left arrow keys. If I keep the keys depressed, it finally begins to shift. But what I want to do is move it one pixel at a time. Surely this should be possible?

I'd appreciate some advice here.

Thanks

Philip

Hi Philip,

and welcome here …  :)

When you open, say, a TIFF or JPEG image, Affinity Photo will place this image on a locked background layer by default. Make sure to unlock the layer in the layers panel. After creating a marquee you should be able to do two different things:

• When a Marquee Tool is selected, you should be able to shift just the marquee pixel-wise by using the arrow keys.
  • When the Move or Pan Tool is selected, you should be able to shift the marquee together with the content pixel-wise by using the arrow keys.

So what you say should definitely be possible … but the arrow keys might be buggy. I was not able to reproduce what you described, but there were some strange things concerning selections I noticed myself …  :unsure:

Perhaps you should make a video showing what’s going wrong …

Cheers, Alex  :)

In case you’re interested, I created another thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10683-selection-bugs/