You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure what may have happened in my setting, but the color picker tool is not picking up my selected color. It's taking my desktop screen background color instead. For example, I need a color from an image in another window. I select the color picker, click and hold the left side of my mouse, drag over the mouse arrow over the image in another window, instead of picking the image color, its taking the color of my desktop background. Is there something in the setting I need to change? I hope I'm making sense. I really need help and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks

With the Image layer selected and colour picker tool selected, there will be a context menu just above the image and an option to select the source, change that to current layer. Failing that try restarting Affinity Photo.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I think it’s worth adding to what firstdefence said above by saying that the Context Toolbar options for the Colour Picker are only available via the Colour Picker Tool from the Tools panel and not from the other Colour Pickers that are available elsewhere in the application, e.g. in the Swatches Studio. (Just in case there was any confusion.)

I changed it to current object. I closed out and re-opened and the source auto set to Global. When I changed it back to current object, it's still picking up my screen background. 

I took an image (color wheel image) and place it on my artboard. I selected the color picker and tried several colors off of the image and the color that picks up is black. No other color. 

If I try from another window (internet image), the color picker picks up my desktop background colors. 

Should I uninstall and reinstall?

I'm running-  macOS Catalina Version 10.15.3

Thank You guys so much for helping. 

Edited by mandisa222

1 minute ago, mandisa222 said:

Thanks for responding. macOS Catalina Version 10.15.3

Unfortunately, as I am not running Catalina I can't tell you where to look but as I understand it, somewhere in Catalina you may have to give Affinity permission to use the color picker outside its own window.

Hopefully a Catalina user knows what I am talking about & can help with that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Unfortunately, as I am not running Catalina I can't tell you where to look but as I understand it, somewhere in Catalina you may have to give Affinity permission to use the color picker outside its own window.

Hopefully a Catalina user knows what I am talking about & can help with that.

wouldn't be this you are talking about would it?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It's in System Preferences - Security and Privacy - Privacy - Screen Recording. Unlock and make sure the Affinity apps are checked.

653834230_Screenshot2020-02-10at21_08_35.png.ff69f0956c5a352904f693f747d49d39.png

Cheers,

H

Edited by h_d
Added detail to location of prefs panel

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.