You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[549] Preflight says missing font, font manager doesn't show that font

Ran the preflight a couple times and it shows Tekton as a missing font. Can double-click on the preflight error but it goes nowhere. Open the Font Manager and that font isn't listed much less show as missing. Tried a Search for the font and it doesn't come up with anything.

You already have this file and resources (Clean Water 2019 - WW -4pg - CMYK) from previous issues.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 2.57.59 PM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Found the issue. Preflight correctly flagged the issue, but could not locate the item with the missing font. Nor did it show in the Font Manager. 

What it turned out to be is a linked graphic, a pdf of a site plan CAD supplied to us by the client. As with other discussions of Affinity apps having problems with pdfs with missing fonts, this showed up when Placed within the APub doc and not only showed up as a mysterious Missing Font in Preflight, but was also causing an unidentified error (failure) in trying to export the doc as an X4 pdf. Affinity and I have been working on this doc for a month trying to figure out why it would not export. The good news is the new version of Preflight caught the missing font issue. The bad news is that Preflight could not locate or identify where that missing font was within the doc! 

Guess the result is that Preflight could use some improvement (hopefully it is possible), and the x4 export error message needs to better identify why the export fails. 

But at least both issues are somewhat solved for now! 😉

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

and the x4 export error message needs to better identify why the export fails. 

I can't reproduce any failure when exporting to PDF X4 here, with a document that contains a PDF with a missing font - any additional info that might help me reproduce it? Might be worth attaching the PDF that is used here.

I can reproduce the missing font when "Look inside placed documents" is ticked, which is correct - not sure how we could make the "Fix" experience any better but I'll bring it up

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

In b556, still cannot export the file as a pdf x4 if that pdf with the missing font is in the doc. I have just uploaded the APub file (everything embedded) and also the offending pdf graphic. File name: "Clean Water 2019 - WW -4pg - CMYK_print-beta556-missing font pdf.afpub"

If I replace that placed pdf with the same CAD drawing that was the pdf but opened in ADes, where it converted missing fonts to curves, and place it as an ADes file, it outputs to x4 fine (although there are now a couple other errors in output in this latest beta that I'll post elsewhere).

On the Preflight issue, I understand that Preflight can't likely "fix" the missing font within a graphic element that is a pdf (and has the missing font). But the problem is more that right now if Preflight shows the Missing Font warning, there is no way to determine where that missing font is within the doc! Double-clicking on the error message in Preflight does not take me to nor identify that graphic element, so there is no way to discover where the problem is. The only way I actually found the item with the missing font is that I recognized where that font would typically be used (based on historical experience of doing those CAD drawings). But under any other circumstances, in a multiple page doc, it might be nearly impossible to track down a "missing font" if it is within a placed resource. 

I guess my suggestion would be that like with any other error in Preflight, when double-clicking on the error message, it should take you to the item that is generating the error. Hopefully that's possible. I'm sure many people place pdf's or eps's into APub docs, and if supplied by outside clients, etc., it is probable they might have missing fonts. Just need to be able to identify the "faulty" item within APub so that it can be corrected/addressed. 

Thanks.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

In that same doc, the new beta 556 is having a couple issues in a pdf export (x4) that hasn't been there before this version. Attached are the errors on 2 pages from beta 556 and the same graphic items exported as pdf x4 in 1.7.3. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 1.20.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 1.20.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 1.21.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 1.21.32 PM.png

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 1 month later...

Is there any solution to this problem yet?

I have a missing font in Preflight which I think has come from the MS Word file when placed. All fonts from those files have been replaced using style sheets but it seems Publisher still records the font as having been used. The "Locate" button does not locate the problem. In fact the Locate button doesn't seem to do anything—it doesn't even locate fonts that are in the publication. I have selected a replacement font but Affinity does not substitute the missing font.

I can generate a PDF by clicking "Ignore" but it is a worry that a problem could emerge when going to print.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.