You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[549] New Document dialog - # of pages stuck

Just tried the improved New Document. However, I noticed on of my presets didn't have the correct number of pages (had 1 and should have had 4), so I changed the number of pages to 4. I tried to save it but couldn't since it said I already had one the same (which I didn't). Strangely, if I thin clicked on any other preset, every preset no matter what tab (photos, web, print, etc) all now had 4 pages as part of the preset. I canceled out of the dialog and tried another New. The 4 pages spec was still there in each and every preset.

I am assuming this is a bug since each preset should be able to have as part of it the desired number of pages as the starting point.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

I actually think the opposite, I think one of the only things you might want to preserve when flipping between profiles is the amount of pages you'd like the document to have, so this seems intentional to me!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I guess I can see where for some workflows, always having the same number of pages for numerous presets might work. But I guess I see the main advantage of having specific format presets is that I can easily open/create a specific common blank document with all the specs "pre-set". Examples being a single page A4 bleed; a 2-sided A4 sell sheet; an A4 newsletter that's always 4 pages; the same 4-page newsletter set up for facing pages instead of scrolling pages; etc.

Additionally, since some of the presets are for "photos", "web", etc., can't see those as typically being multiple pages. 

I guess I look at presets as just that -- all specs are specific to each preset, but can be changed prior to creating the new doc for one-off variations of the "normal" preset. I'm also guessing that most users will assume that what they set for specs when they create a preset will be how a doc is created. Currently, prior to creating the doc, it appears one has to review the specs in a preset to make sure they are what is desired for that common doc. 

Are there other specs that aren't saved when I create a preset? If it is just the number of pages, then that would seem inconsistent and lead to questions. Overriding a preset's specs for one-off jobs makes sense, but I really think a preset should be just that -- all specs should be preset for simple, quick new doc creation.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.