You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Issues with layers and pen (wacom)suddenly not behaving/not functioning

Hi, I hope someone can help me.   I'm working on a picture/drawing in Affinity Photo - size of file 1.37GB and Image is 600dpi on MacBook pro OS Mojave (wacom messed up too much with catalina so I reverted back and am too scared to upgrade again).

I've scanned my images (sketches) and have layered each element and I'm having several functional issues.

•  I'm finding that suddenly some layers are flickering, or disappearing - I can make it appear by copying and pasting the layer but then sometimes those then disappear.
  • Some layers inexplicably cannot be edited such as using the erase tool.  I can move its position but not erase pencil lines not draw onto it.
  • When I'm using the pen to erase some sections, big pixel chunks start flickering - particularly if I'm working zoomed in.
  • I have added new layers that do not function - eg, I tried to have a filled layer but nothing happened (no colour fill).  I copied this layer, opened it in a new file and still, nothing there.  Though in the new file, I can create a new layer and fill perfectly fine and then copy that over back to my original piece.

TIA

• Follow up - whilst trying to resize the document (down to  350dpi) in the hope of a smoothing out these problems, one of my layers disappears.  The layer is present but blank in the layers window and invisible/not present on the main screen. If undo the resize of the document (back up to 600dpi) it reappears.
  • Also attached some video of the flickering which occurred whilst trying to erase edges.

2 hours ago, Bunston said:

I have the intros pro medium. The wacom desktop centre says my driver is up to date (6.3.20-11).

Here on Mac OS 10.14.6 the Wacom driver is 6.3.38-3 and the Wacom page says for Windows it is 6.3.38-2

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Oh really? I wonder why the desktop centre doesn't tell me that.  Thanks for the link, will download and see what happens.

EDIT UPDATE: Have downloaded the driver and the wacom seems to be working fine.  However, when I was editing my work - I've started again with a smaller dpi (350) just in case the file size was an issue, and I get to the 6th layer and whilst editing, the layer vanished. I'm only adding and editing layers as I go along so really not many layers at all at this point.

Edited by Bunston

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 10:21 AM, stokerg said:

Hi Bunston,

Which model Wacom do you have, so i can do some testing here.

It's worth making sure you have the latest drivers installed for the tablet.

Also your video didn't upload, feel free to use the following Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/r9I7h80EbYYa37b759jL 

Hi stokerg,

Any update on this?

I've tried using someone else's MacBook Pro (same spec and model as mine) and same results - even tried factory setting both MacBooks and going from scratch.  Also tried exchanging heat sink paste - made no difference. Upgraded to Catalina...made no difference.

Strangely, I borrowed a 2011 MacBook Pro (non retina etc) and the files worked perfectly so I was able to get work done on that.  Clearly there's something about my model of MacBook Pro that is not working with Affinity.  Can you please advise?  

TIA

@stokerg  or anyone else at Affinity,  could you please respond to this query.  I sent an email regarding this on 2nd March which hasn't been replied to either.  I still cannot use affinity photo on my MacBook Pro - or any other of the same year/model it seems (Catalina - but also an issue on previous MacOS, Retina, 15" Early 2013).  Wacom pen doesn't appear to be a problem.  I've upgraded to 1.8.1 but it seems the problems are still there.  If I open a new file and start working, everything seems fine but opening up a bigger file (created on a different model of MacBook Pro (2011) with no issues at all) and there's the same lag that makes it impossible to continue working on it.