You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot edit Affinity Designer gradients in Illustrator

I have been looking already long time for an alternative for Illustrator, but I am working for stock agencies, and they insist on Illustrator compatible EPS vector files. Unfortunately, it seems like Affinity Designer Eps does not work well with Illustrator.

I created a very simple test file, just a circle filled with a simple radial gradient, only two massive colors, no effects, no transparency, and saved it in EPS format. By saving I have chosen the option ( I have german interface, so i don't know how it sounds in English) „allow no rasterizing at all“. After opening EPS file in Illustrator gradient was rasterized. To be sure I created a few more files with gradients, as simple as the first and they all did not work in Illustrator. By saving the same files as SVG gradients got saved, I was able to edit them after opening in Illustrator. Did I anything wrong, or are EPS gradients exported from Affinity Designer generally not compatible with Illustrator?

It would be really sad, I was so happy to find an alternative for Illustrator for my stock illustrations, but without option to create gradients it is not really an alternative. Can you help me?

Did you try reopening the .eps in Affinity Designer? You'd probably have found the gradient came in as a true gradient. Basically, the EPS we export is fine, all vector and conforming to the standard, and Illustrator chooses to rasterise the gradients itself on import. There's nothing we can do to change Illustrator. I suggest you raise the issue with Adobe.

I opened the eps in Affinity Designer, and it worked alright. But I'm forced to provide Illustrator compatible files as well as the most designers have to deal with them. Adobe has a nearly monopol now, and there is no way to work as a professional without to produce Adobe compatible files. I'm not happy about this, but it is the reality. Affinity Designer was described as a real alternative to Illustrator, but in the situation we have it means automatically to be able to produce files compatible with Illustrator. I have no idea about programming, and I don't know, whether it is possible or not, but if there are some branches in Affinity Designer development, it would be not the worst idea to improve its Adobe compatibility. At the moment, I did not found my Illustrator alternative.