You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change vector / bitmap line drawing color

Having a 2D PDF with technical drawing of a VR headset controller similar to this one 

Vive controllers technical drawing white blank https://imgur.com/gallery/5rTX05h

Need to change the lines color from black to white so to have it on transparent background, can use Affinity Publisher or Designer, I'm missing any easy solution 

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, didn't sport that you didn't have Photo. The technique below is for Photo only.

There are probably loads of ways to do this but one very simple method is:
* choose menu “Filters → Colours → Erase White Paper”;
* Add a Colour Overlay Effect with a White colour.
The edges of the lines might be a bit too fuzzy zoomed-in so another method may be better.

Annotation 2020-02-09 093742.png

Edited by GarryP
Missed some vital info'.

11 minutes ago, davide445 said:

can use Affinity Publisher or Designer,

Affinity Photo is a more appropriate tool for image manipulation.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Just in case anyone reading this is interested, one way in Designer is:
* Go to the Pixel Persona;
* Choose menu “Select → Tonal Range → Select Highlights”;
* Press the DELETE button;
* Choose menu “Select → Deselect”;
* Add a White Colour Overlay Effect.
Again, some fuzzy edges when zoomed-in but probably okay for most general purposes.

Annotation 2020-02-09 100244.png

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

EDIT: Oops, sorry, didn't sport that you didn't have Photo. The technique below is for Photo only.

There are probably loads of ways to do this but one very simple method is:
* choose menu “Filters → Colours → Erase White Paper”;
* Add a Colour Overlay Effect with a White colour.
The edges of the lines might be a bit too fuzzy zoomed-in so another method may be better.

This method didn't work, result in totally transparent image. Tried also color replacement brush but with no luck so far.

Attached the images I need to work on (cosmos controller) and the target result (two controllers icon), I supposed working with Photo no difference in starting from the PDF.

vive_cosmos_controller_left_top.tga vive_cosmos_controller_left_side.tga two_controllers_icon.tga

Affinity Photo, Publisher, Designer, PagePlus, ShaderMap Pro, Davinci Resolve, HitFilm Pro, Unreal, Unigine, 3ds Max, Maya Bifrost, Houdini, 3D-Coat.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

That method probably didn’t work as the example image you gave doesn’t match the images you want to work on.
For those two images, which already have a transparent background, I would probably just add a Recolour Adjustment to each, setting the Lightness to 100%. Then, where you have coloured areas of the original image, use the Brush Tool to paint over those areas of the adjustment in White to mask the adjustment in those areas. See my attached image and file.

Annotation 2020-02-09 125752.png

black-to-white-with-recolour.afphoto

Not a Photo expert unfortunately.

I have seen your file, but I need a transparent, not a colored background.

Also need more thick lines but I think can be made using Outline effect.

Achieved removing your background color and just choosing Transparent background for the document.

Windows 10 and 11 Pro.

Simplest method would be to trace the lines with the pen tool, this way you have a vector file to play with, job done.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions