You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BETA-Splash-Screen

Hi all,

Since there is no suitable sub-forum for this: I have a request/suggestion for all the BETAs.

As long as the BETA-Versions do not offer a "save as release-version compatible File" - option,
Please change the Splash-Screen of the BETA-Versions to something more distinguishable...

Untitled.jpg.e1ab1c4bc9b0be7a9d9341da9db5cb71.jpg

Untitled_2.jpg.76cc718afde956e5be6a80761fd72939.jpg

...to make sure the user does not work in the Beta by mistake - or does this happen only to me?

(no this tiny icon at the far left on the menu-bar is not enough for me.. ;-) )

Thanks.
Fritz

1 hour ago, Fritz_H said:

or does this happen only to me?

Since you are asking. I am very able to do things accidentially and mess things up. But with Affinity I developed the habit to very closely look at with which version I'm working. I doubt any kind of extra display will help here. Once your 'in the heat of work' you (and me) most likely miss that. It's really better to actively distinguish between the versions.

My way is the following. Release apps are fixed to Windows taskbar. The beta versions are just icons on the desktop. I also do not double click on an Affinity file. I always choose 'Open with...' from the right click menu. That way I trained myself to always spend a though on what I'm going to do next.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 minutes ago, dominik said:

Since you are asking....

I could answer to you in german, but that would be unfair to the others in this forum... :-)

Allow me to answer just briefly:   Usability, the Software has to adapt to the user - not the other way around.

Fritz

42 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

the Software has to adapt to the user - not the other way around.

I agree with you in this in regard to release versions of the software.

But as we both are actively using beta versions I think there is a liitle difference. We, as beta testers, cannot ask for a fool proof seperation by the developers of release and beta versions. This needs some participation and commitment by the beta testers, too. This is why I developed the habit of very closely looking at what version of Affinity I am using.

I am not against your proposal to emphasise the status of a beta version. But I think this is not going to prevent accidential edits.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

9 hours ago, dominik said:

(...)
We, as beta testers, cannot ask for a fool proof seperation by the developers of release and beta versions.

Why not? I don´t see that.
People (esp. PRO-Users) testing the Beta-Versions may provide important feedback for the developers.

You may think that usability is for low-end users, for dumb people to make things easier.
The opposite is true. 

Esp. in professional environments its very important to stick to the rule "don´t make me think".
A pilot of a airplane must not start thinking whether an Interface-element in his cockpit needs to be pushed, pulled or twisted.
Shape and size of that e.g. button will avoid that. The important and frequently used buttons will be placed closer to the person than others.
For the same reason a Game-Console Controller has a certain shape and the buttons a specific tactile feedback.
(...and since the is no tactile feedback on touchscreens, they are a stupid idea for cars, btw..)

Fritz

2 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

Why not? I don´t see that.
People (esp. PRO-Users) testing the Beta-Versions may provide important feedback for the developers.

You may think that usability is for low-end users, for dumb people to make things easier.
The opposite is true. 

Esp. in professional environments its very important to stick to the rule "don´t make me think".
A pilot of a airplane must not start thinking whether an Interface-element in his cockpit needs to be pushed, pulled or twisted.
Shape and size of that e.g. button will avoid that. The important and frequently used buttons will be placed closer to the person than others.
For the same reason a Game-Console Controller has a certain shape and the buttons a specific tactile feedback.
(...and since the is no tactile feedback on touchscreens, they are a stupid idea for cars, btw..)

Fritz

What I try to say is not that we should not provide feedback. What I try to say that I do not think there is a 'fool proof' way to solve the problem to keep the beta version and the release version visually apart. It takes us users to also make that distinction.

Cheers,
d.

14 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

. to make sure the user does not work in the Beta by mistake - or does this happen only to me?

Change your Beta to the Light UI mode

You will never make that mistake again 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

31 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You will never make that mistake again 

I do the opposite, betas are in dark mode. Swings and Roundabouts.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

I do it in a similar way with language setting. The release version is in my native German. Betas are in English to easily quote UI elements when reporting here. Of course this won't work for some of you.

d.