You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File managing in Affinity Publisher

I imported a pdf into a document and am doing some edits. Beside my document, a new tab/window opens called "Embedded" as if it would be another identical file. How does this work, and why does this happen?
Seems strange to me as I have to close it, or switch window all the time to save the real document. And when other edits happen to be done in the "Embedded" like adding colors, they are not added into the main file, so when switching between these windows, the settings are not the same (like added swatches)

How can I disable this strange window called embedded? (This is not only a treated as a layer but appears beside other files opened.) 

Also, after I have made more edits, I cannot save over the new document, but only get the option "Save as". 

Edited by Revelation14

Is this something happening in the latest beta that doesn't happen in the release version?

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

2 hours ago, Revelation14 said:

I imported a pdf into a document and am doing some edits. Beside my document, a new tab/window opens called "Embedded" as if it would be another identical file. How does this work, and why does this happen?
Seems strange to me as I have to close it, or switch window all the time to save the real document. And when other edits happen to be done in the "Embedded" like adding colors, they are not added into the main file, so when switching between these windows, the settings are not the same (like added swatches)

How can I disable this strange window called embedded? (This is not only a treated as a layer but appears beside other files opened.) 

Also, after I have made more edits, I cannot save over the new document, but only get the option "Save as".

The behavior will depend on the kind of file (image files (.jpg, .png, .tiff) work differently from document files (all other file types)), and on whether you have Linked it or Embedded it. You set a preference for that when you created your .afpub document, but you can also change the file's status using the Resource Manager. The default when creating documents is generally Linked, but you can override that while creating or via a Preset.

The behavior will also depend, in some ways, on whether you're using 1.7 or 1.8.

As you've posted in the beta forum, the current behavior is the following:

• If you have a Linked .afdesign, .afpub, or .afphoto document, and you select it using the Move Tool, you should have an Edit Document button on the Context Toolbar that will open it in a new tab. Or you can double-click the linked document on the page. In that new tab you will have access to all the layers in the linked document. You can make changes using the Publisher tools, or tools in the Designer or Photo Personas if you have Designer or Photo installed. While you're editing you affect only that file, not the rest of the page. When you're done and Save the original file is updated (or, if Save As, a new file is created). If you used Save, then when you close the tab Publisher should tell you the original was updated, and offer to update the local preview copy. Or if you have your Preferences set for automatic update of linked files it will just update the local preview copy.
  • If you have a Linked document file of some other type (.pdf, .svg, .eps) then you should not see the Edit Document button, and double-clicking the document should not do anything. As your post indicates something different than this, I am not sure what is happening, unless perhaps you have Embedded your PDF rather than Linking it. What does the Resource Manager show?
  • If you have a Linked image file (.tiff, .jpg, .png) then you will have an Edit Image button on the Move Tool's Context Toolbar. Clicking it will open the image in a new tab, where again you can perform edits isolated from other objects on the page, using any of the Personas active in Publisher. When done editing, you can Save or Save As. Save will overwrite the original file, and when you close the tab Publisher will detect the change and offer to update, or update automatically, as appropriate based on your Preferences.

• If you have an embedded document file of any kind (.afdesign, .afpub, .afphoto, .pdf, .svg, .eps, etc.) you will have an Edit Document button on the Move Tool's Context Toolbar, or you can double-click the file on the page, and edit in a new tab as in the first bullet above. However, when you're done editing, you just close the tab, and your changes are applied to the local embedded copy of the file and updated on the page.
  • If you have an embedded image file (.tif, .jpg, .png) then you will not have an Edit Image button in the Move Tool's Context Toolbar. Any editing you want to do will have to be done on the page, and will affect the complete page (depending on any masks or pixel selections you may create).
  • If you have an embedded document file of some other kind,

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As I said, you have reported something inconsistent with my experience and with the way I think it's supposed to work.

Therefore, it would help to have more information available. I suggested that you look at the Resource Manager and confirm that the resources are Linked. Can you give us a screenshot of the Resource Manager showing that, please?

Also, please confirm the release number of Publisher that you're using. On Windows you could give a screenshot of Help > About but on Mac that might be Publisher > About.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, Revelation14 said:

chose the files to be linked

FYI, the "preferred" mode in the document may not be applied in all possible cases of how a file gets added to a document; this is why @walt.farrell is asking to have that verified - to confirm that the resource didn't ignore the setting you selected when creating the document for one reason or another.

1 hour ago, Revelation14 said:

Here is the screenshot:
https://prnt.sc/r0po26 
You will also see the window called "embedded" that open when the pdf is placed (linked).

Version of Publisher is 1.7.3

Are you certain you're using the 1.8 beta? The behavior you're describing applies to 1.7.3, but not to the 1.8 beta as far as I know. (Unless, of course, the 1.8 Publisher beta on Mac is behaving differently from the 1.8 Publisher beta on Windows.)

-- Walt
PC:

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

This forum section is for the beta of Publisher, not the 1.7 retail version.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This forum section is for the beta of Publisher, not the 1.7 retail version.

Agreed; however, the OP clearly indicated he is using the release version in that reply, which means this thread is in the wrong section of the forum.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Thanks; I didn't read that carefully enough.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, Revelation14 said:

Version of Publisher is 1.7.3

It would have helped, then, if you had posted in the forum for the released version, not in the beta forum.

What you have described is, I believe, correct for 1.7.3. It will be different in 1.8.

In 1.7 with a Linked PDF file, you will have an Edit Document button in the Context Toolbar of the Move Tool. Or you can double-click on the Placed file on the page. Either will open an editing tab named Embedded.

When you are done editing, you will have to use File > Export in that tab to export your changes. You can either overwrite the PDF you Linked, or you can provide a new name or location. If you overwrite it, then Publisher will either prompt you to update the local preview copy, or will do so automatically if you have that set in your preferences. If you did not overwrite it, you can use the Replace Image button to replace your previous Linked PDF with the new one, if you want to.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon