You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expanding stroke results in weird shapes

Proxos

I am having a problem, when I expand strokes in affinity designer I get weird shapes as a result. I also have problems with boolean operation where the behaviour is similar.
On a side not: I didn't had these problems on illustrator. 
Bellow you can see a gif, that demonstrates the bug.

expand-stroke-bug.gif.f08a5a40386f712e3b3856e7e2e4f41b.gif

System

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70GHz

RAM: 16 GB

System-Type: 64x Bit

Video/Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

42 minutes ago, Lorthiz said:

Try rescaling objects with Ctrl/Cmd and diagonal handle to constraint proportions(scale stroke with object on paths selected).

When you have larger strokes expand them then. It should create smoother result and then you can scale it back the same way to expected size.

I saw other post already that suggested the same. But couldn't this be easily fixed by the affinity team internally? I mean the solution is pretty simple: scale the object to a very big size (without showing it to the user), expand stroke and then resize it to the original size. Basically the same we have to do right now :)

The problem is very old but still not adressed properly... I don't like to complain. I got an awesome software for a very good price. But for me "Expand Stroke" is a core feature, that should be adressed earlier than creating new features.

Believe me it's not that simple. For us users it's really simple to thing since "it's just the same but bigger", but having some experience as a programmer I can tell you working with decimal points and small numbers is a lot more problematic than with big ones and for 99% the whole function for the stroke is also changed when scaling.

My guess is that alghoritm that expands the stroke must have somekind  veird mechanism for rounding values for decimal points or sampling for that alghoritm uses biger values. Less samples used on objects(small objects) creates less points and in the end and precission is worse. Since bigger objects will automaticaly have more samples taken they are expanded with better precision.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, Proxos said:

I am having a problem, when I expand strokes in affinity designer I get weird shapes as a result. I also have problems with boolean operation where the behaviour is similar.
On a side not: I didn't had these problems on illustrator. 
Bellow you can see a gif, that demonstrates the bug.

expand-stroke-bug.gif.f08a5a40386f712e3b3856e7e2e4f41b.gif

I am not sure why customers discuss the imagined complexity behind code and architecture so often here. Let Serif worry about solving it now that everyone else could. The problem can in fact be solved by Serif and was finally after years of waiting solved in the latest beta of version 1.8. So there. We are dealing with their business priorities here. Not capturing a picture of a black hole.

Download 1.8 beta from topmost post here (Windows):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta-on-windows/

@Proxos

Give it a testdrive - I am sure Serif would love your feedback if you still have issues with the feature. I believe it finally works rather well.

I know you will ask; no one knows when 1.8 will be released. I believe it is an early phase of development.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, Lorthiz said:

Believe me it's not that simple. For us users it's really simple to thing since "it's just the same but bigger", but having some experience as a programmer I can tell you working with decimal points and small numbers is a lot more problematic than with big ones and for 99% the whole function for the stroke is also changed when scaling.

My guess is that alghoritm that expands the stroke must have somekind  veird mechanism for rounding values for decimal points or sampling for that alghoritm uses biger values. Less samples used on objects(small objects) creates less points and in the end and precission is worse. Since bigger objects will automaticaly have more samples taken they are expanded with better precision.

I am actually a full time programmer. Not having to do much with numbers in the mathematical sense tho. I can still see your point. I don't know how the code base looks like and how the program is architectured. I am not saying it's easy to implement it. But since we, as a user, who use their program can do that manually with a little "hack", it should theoretically be automatable in some way. I saw a similar post from 2017, which is why I wondered.

But of course there could always be unexpected complications and my apporach could be naive and practically impossible. So I will stop talking that big. :) 

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

I am not sure why customers discuss the imagined complexity behind code and architecture so often here. Let Serif worry about solving it now that everyone else could. The problem can in fact be solved by Serif and was finally after years of waiting solved in the latest beta of version 1.8. So there. We are dealing with their business priorities here. Not capturing a picture of a black hole.

Download 1.8 beta from topmost post here (Windows):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta-on-windows/

@Proxos

Give it a testdrive - I am sure Serif would love your feedback if you still have issues with the feature. I believe it finally works rather well.

I know you will ask; no one knows when 1.8 will be released. I believe it is an early phase of development.

Basically the above text applys to your first paragraph too. I'm sorry for my naive assumption.

I didn't know there was a beta. Thats awesome! Thanks for the link.
I tested it right away and it works even better than the old "hack". Very good news indeed.  I'm excited.

1 hour ago, Proxos said:

I tested it right away and it works even better than the old "hack". Very good news indeed.  I'm excited.

No need for apologies! I just voiced my opinion! 😉 Glad to hear it worked better!

Be aware that 1.8 files cannot be opened in 1.7 and earlier versions... and that some features like divide (geometry) still hasn't been fixed. Careful where you step.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.