You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Interactive PDF

I've been trying to find a way to create a fillable form using Affinity Publisher and haven't been able to find anything. As I create a lot of PDFs that are intended to be filled out by other people (invitations, applications, resumes etc). I would like to be able to make certain fields editable; for people to change names, dates etc. Is this something that will be coming to Publisher at any point? If not, are there any third party programs that would allow me to create a file in Affinity Publisher and then make it editable/interactive so I can still do my work? 

Hi

I wrote the following original post around two hours ago.

The linked page has some useful information, so I have left the original post for reference, but my wondering if PagePlus - an older prpgram fron Serif - would do the job is not a practical solution as the software is no longer sold directly by Serif.

William

----

The original post.

Hi

I asked about if PagePlus would do what you are seeking.

https://community.serif.com/forum/pageplus/114979/can-pageplus-do-what-is-requested-for-affinity-publisher-in-the-linked-thread-please

It depends on which type of computer you are using and what you are trying to do.

I hope that this helps.

William

Edited by William Overington
Alas, the software considered as a possibiiity is no longer sold directly by Serif.

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

right now I'm using Nitro as an alternative to Acrobat ... I got it on Sale for ~100$ so it doesn't come cheap, but definitely cheaper than Adobe Subscription just for Acrobat... I haven't done much Form-Editing (especially non complex) with it, but it's imho no more or less painful than Acrobat ... best you try it for yourself (free Trial)

btw. I'd really love to see that as a feature in Publisher...

@Fixx sry, i must have overlooked that he uses a Mac ... a good Alternative for OSX might be PDFelement by wondershare ... you'd need the Pro-Licence though to create and edit forms ... I haven't used it myself (just heard about it), but theres a free trial that might be worth a look ... seems like it has some nice functionality with the forms ... I should take a better look at that myself :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A year, at least, for this issue.  It's always a little disheartening when something so basic goes for so long without being added.  I've recently started having a need for editing and creating PDFs, too.  Adobe generally makes this expensive, or incredibly frustrating.

I can more or less alter existing PDFs with DeftPDF, but it's also really unpleasant to use.

It's even more disheartening when a free program can do things the paid Affinity apps can't...

I've found that I can layout and design the PDF in Affinity, export the page (pages) as a PNG, then set it (them) as a background image behind everything in LibreOffice Writer, exactly sized to fill the page and perfectly positioned edge to edge.

Then, in Writer I can place all the fillable forms boxes and buttons on top of my design.  If I take good notes about where I positioned guides and elements with their sizes in Affinity, then I can specifically size and position all those elements in Writer absolutely perfectly.

It's certainly not ideal, but it works.  You could also just build out your fillable PDF in Writer... again, for free.  Free PDF viewers open up the exported PDF no problem, and let you fill it out.

(LibreOffice Draw can import PDFs to let you edit them, but this is incredibly frustrating both in terms of how well it imports elements, and using the tools to make changes.)

• 3 weeks later...

The best and cheapest option I have found to date is Wondershare PDF Element Pro. They have a lifetime license for $129. However it does a lot more than this and offers a full suit including OCR, compression and digital signature in the Pro version

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

+1

I'd really value this feature. I run a small business and have to regularly send out forms I need customers to complete like order confirmations. I need to be able to 'put it on a plate' for them by making the document editable, but really don't want to be sending Word docs to do that

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...