You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and select

Some more selection options might add to a faster work flow

1// select and drag with the node tool: select point of multiple objects: When performing an action as illustrated underneath, i have to edit the dark and light grey object separately. Whereas if i could just click and drag with the node cursor and select points of both objects, I would be able to move them all at once.

2// click and drag with the move tool now only select an object that falls entirely within the selection. Having options to change that (as in 3D studio max) would be a good idea. Because sometimes it'd be easier to select all object that fall partially within the selection.

post-14317-0-42900700-1436889733_thumb.png

I think i see what your doing in example 1...

When you select multiple curved objects you can drag the nodes of multiple shapes at once.

But if one of them is a SHAPE (made with a shape tool like circle, rounded rectangle or other such tool). Shapes are considered "smart" objects and have special options until they are set to curves, and they wont work this way with the node tool, I just tried it.

Try right clicking on all objects and select - CONVERT TO CURVES. Then try moving nodes from multiple shapes again, it will likely work.

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

I do feel very welcome here, thanks.

1// I did find how to select all nodes from multiple objects, but I want to select some nodes of multiple objects

As you see in the attachment. I only want to move the green points, and leave the red points unaltered. Without having to manually select or deselect points.

**EDIT** And that is possible in the way you described. So all is solved. Thanks!

2// That indeed is what I was looking for. Thanks!

post-14317-0-54908400-1436964298_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Regarding the "Select object when intersects with selection marquee" feature:

that's an important thing, and it's great you thought about it, but:

Could you please introduce a modifier key toggle for that feature (maybe ALT), so there's no need to deliberately open the Preferences for that?

Or, alternatively, you could introduce that smart little approach that some CAD software uses: drag the selection frame from right to left: "intersecting selection", drag it from left to right: "non-intersecting selection".

Some guys including me posted that wish already... here's a little reminder...

Cheers!

Eugen

Could you please introduce a modifier key toggle for that feature (maybe ALT), so there's no need to deliberately open the Preferences for that?

Or, alternatively, you could introduce that smart little approach that some CAD software uses: drag the selection frame from right to left: "intersecting selection", drag it from left to right: "non-intersecting selection".

That would be a great feature!  B) Easy to implement and very, very useful.

Hi guys!

Should this be working on the Windows version, too?

When I press CTRL during dragging the selection rectangle with the arrow tool, nothing happens - AD does not toggle that modes.

Instead, some arrows displaying the distances of the object to the work area borders are shown.

Thanks!

Best

Eugen

• 2 months later...

Hi Pixlers,

This was already implemented. You can switch between the two modes (Select object when intersect the selection marquee versus select only included objects inside the marquee) on the fly pressing ⌃(ctrl) while dragging the marquee to select the objects.

Hi again,

can anyone confirm switching modes by pressing CTRL is working in the windows version? It doesn't for me...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tupaia,

Yes, this works on Windows too but you have to press the right mouse button instead of ⌃(ctrl). So press and hold the left mouse button and drag the marquee around the objects - use the right mouse button (while keeping the left mouse button pressed) to switch between modes.

Aaa-ha! Nice!

However, can we have this optionally with some modifier key as well, please? It's somewhat weird finger acrobatics having to press 2 mouse buttons at once...

Especially the fact that you then need to release the LMB before the RMB makes it less comfy.

As has been said: other software (Rhino, 3ds Max, ...) sport a handy feature that does an 'intersect select' when you draw the selection frame from right to left, and a 'window select' when you draw it left-right.

I'm used to it for many years now. Would be cool to see it here, too.

Cheers

Eugen