You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artsboards are impractical

The Artsboards are impractical. Example: you have 100 artboards. Then you delete 20 artboards. That leaves 80 artboards. These 80 artboards are not numbered correctly. Much better would be the pages, like the Publisher. If you open a document with a lot of artboards, you see all artboards. It would be better if you only see one artboard, like in Publisher.

And, if one prefers Pages then one can use Publisher :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If one has 100 dartboards one should also utilise Navigation Viewpoints, name them appropriately and zoom to dartboards used most often in no time.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 2/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, Designer1 said:

These 80 artboards are not numbered correctly.

What is the reason for artboards to be named by numbers exactly in order? The name of the Artboard should be as representative of its content as possible.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

The concept of so-called 'artboards' is not impractical. Far from it. (How best to implement it, of course, is a matter of discussion.)

Think of it like this:

• The general interface metaphor of pages in a page-layout program is that of a bound book: flipping a stack of same-size pages in a fixed sequence, viewing them as 2-page spreads.
  • The general interface metaphor of artboards in a vector-based illustration and design program is that of freely spreading and freely arranging related but individual sheets of a project—which may be of different sizes and orientations—on the conference table.

I don't know about your work, but mine (for the past 3.5 decades) has overwhelmingly more often corresponded to the latter than the former. I dare say that is also true of the vast majority of whole-document designers; vastly more single-sheet brochures, fliers, placement ads, trade show displays, identity documents, signage, etc., etc. than high-page-count bookish documents with repetitive layouts.

Truth is, for the majority of graphics-intensive documents, it is more efficient to build it entirely in a drawing program than in a conventional-wisdom page-layout application.

JET

On 2/7/2020 at 12:40 PM, Designer1 said:

The Artsboards are impractical. Example: you have 100 artboards. Then you delete 20 artboards. That leaves 80 artboards. These 80 artboards are not numbered correctly. Much better would be the pages, like the Publisher. If you open a document with a lot of artboards, you see all artboards. It would be better if you only see one artboard, like in Publisher.

Make a few suggestions in the feedback section to improve Artboards, you never know they might get used.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Global colors are also partly impractical. For example, I want to change the global color blue to green on only one artboard. But it does not work! The global color is changed on all artboards.

Excuse me, this is the definition of global colours.

If you want to have global colours that are restricted to just one artboard you have to adapt your workflow. You can define the same colour multiple times and e.g. call them 'corporate red artboard 1' and 'corporate red artboard 2'. That way you can change them seperately for each artboard for multiple objects.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

23 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Interesting, thanks for that information about global colours.

My suggestion: artboards and pages! If you want, you can work with pages or artboards.

Glad to be of help.

For pages you have to work with Affinity Publisher (if you have it). It was discussed here several times to have pages in AD, as well. Opinions about this are mixed. I do not miss them in AD.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

38 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Interesting, thanks for that information about global colours.

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Clr/globalClr.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Global colors are also partly impractical.

Quite the contrary: Defining a bunch of willy-nilly non-'global' color swatches in the same mixed bag with a bunch of 'global' swatches is bad practice that leads to cluttered confusion (and potential production errors).

In Altsys FreeHand, there was no 'global' versus 'non-global' distinction in swatches. All user-defined colors automatically became 'global' as soon as they were dragged from the Color Mixer palette to Swatches palette. That's how it should be in every such program. That's the intuitive meaning of defining a color. Editing the definition of a color should of course update wherever that color is already used. That's the intuitive meaning of redefining a color. If you want to add another color to the document's palette, that's what you do: add another swatch to the palette.

I never heard a FreeHand user complain about any of that. It's straightforward, intuitive, consistent, and reliable. You could redefine an existing swatch at any time and be confident you wouldn't miss any elements throughout an elaborate illustration that needed to be updated because the swatch was applied to it 'before setting the swatch to global.' Any time you wanted to use a different color; that's what you did: defined a different swatch. The interface was clear: The Color Mixer was where you mixed colors. The Colors Palette is where you stored the colors you mixed.

This is just one example of how FreeHand's interface regarding colors was superior to Illustrator's. FreeHand could properly handle spot colors in both gradient fills and in object blends, without their being converted to process.

JET

• 3 weeks later...