Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Why affinity designer rasterize layers with transparency when exporting in .eps ?


Asyle
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello all, I don’t know if this was already posted but I have a problem when I export my vector file in eps, all the shapes that are not in full opacity are rasterized.

Right now I’m putting full opacity for those layers, open the document in adobe illustrator, decrease opacity where i want to and export it again as .eps. It works but I wish I could only use the affinity designer app. 

Does anyone else have this problem ? Am I missing something in the export options ? 

Thank you ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Hi Asyle,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately the EPS format doesn't support any kind of transparency. Illustrator is only able to do it because Adobe embeds an Ai file inside the EPS which retains the transparency. 

I recommend using another format that supports transparency, such as PDF. I hope this helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adobe always does their own thing to break standard/open formats and make them only work with their programs. They do the same with svg and even tiff. It’s been a source of great frustration for me the past couple decades as a graphic designer and web designer working with them and trying to integrate standards compliant software/technology.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/8/2020 at 1:01 AM, 8BitCerberus said:

Adobe always does their own thing to break standard/open formats and make them only work with their programs. They do the same with svg and even tiff. It’s been a source of great frustration for me the past couple decades as a graphic designer and web designer working with them and trying to integrate standards compliant software/technology.

😂 I see. I hope that the transparency problem while exporting to .EPS will be solved soon. This is the only downside after the shape-builder.

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 running macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1
Affinity Deisgner 1.8.6 - Affinity Photo 1.8.6 - Affinity Publisher 1.8.6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hengkidh said:

😂 I see. I hope that the transparency problem while exporting to .EPS will be solved soon. This is the only downside after the shape-builder.

It's not something to be solved. The standard EPS format simply does not support transparency.  It's a very old, largely obsolete format. If you want transparency, try PDF.

-- Walt

Desktop:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 
Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
        Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 2.0.0 / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342)  and 2.0.0 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342)  and 2.0.0
iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

      Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 2.0.2 / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 2.0.2 / Affinity Publisher 2.0.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 4/10/2020 at 8:33 AM, walt.farrell said:

It's not something to be solved. The standard EPS format simply does not support transparency.  It's a very old, largely obsolete format. If you want transparency, try PDF.

Crazy I didn't know this about .eps after like 20yrs of doing graphics! I'm dealing with an outfit right now that accepts ONLY .eps files. So weird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

I made a bit of a discovery today. I started an illustration in Designer with the intention of exporting to eps and finishing in Illustrator, but and got carried away and took it to far...too many gradients, transparencies, etc. Illustrator of course rasterized a bunch of elements so I decided to try opening the eps file in CorelDRAW 2020 and what do ya know, it opened without converting objects to raster, and removed any transparencies I had to solid colors which are easy to recreate.

Not that we all happen to have CorelDRAW on our machines, and I still need to prove this out to make sure it reliable, but there is a possible alternative.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, befehr said:

I made a bit of a discovery today. I started an illustration in Designer with the intention of exporting to eps and finishing in Illustrator, but and got carried away and took it to far...too many gradients, transparencies, etc. Illustrator of course rasterized a bunch of elements so I decided to try opening the eps file in CorelDRAW 2020 and what do ya know, it opened without converting objects to raster, and removed any transparencies I had to solid colors which are easy to recreate.

I usually copy and paste between Affinity and Illustrator which retains gradients and transparency both ways - as stated above eps is pretty much obsolete, I only find it useful for having the ability to open old stuff and re-save as PDF or Affinity formats

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 2 GB Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Double boot Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.5 and Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.00

www.bingercreative.co.uk

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I usually copy and paste between Affinity and Illustrator which retains gradients and transparency both ways - as stated above eps is pretty much obsolete, I only find it useful for having the ability to open old stuff and re-save as PDF or Affinity formats

Yeah, I do the copy/paste dance for simple illustrations but dealing with multiple layers can be time consuming. I guess my point was, which is something I always seem to miss on my original posts, is that it is interesting that DRAW can open EPSs seemingly more reliably than Illustrator. That is about the only thing I like about Corel these days, especially since the price has really gone up.

Sadly, EPS is still required for sites stock sites that sell vector files. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.