You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

Im new to Affinity Photo, but so far, extremally satisfied with its functionality.
Im using Affinity Photo version 1.7.3.481, windows 10 home 
trying to install polish language pack,

I have downloaded 3 files off https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries/tree/master/pl_PL
and placed them in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\affinity language Polish - custom folder I have created,

I have changed the Additional dictionary folder path in preferences to that.

Still dont see it as spelling language, any tips why?

• Staff

Hi Bartek B,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you confirm that it doesn't show in the spelling dropdown of the languages section in the character panel?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Bartek B said:

and placed them in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\affinity language Polish - custom folder I have created,

I have changed the Additional dictionary folder path in preferences to that.

You should not change the Additional Dictionary folder.

What you should do is name your directory pl_PL and put it in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\ (giving you C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries\pl_PL with the .dic files directly inside it).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt, Callum,

I have named the directory pl_PL
It works now in the way that the language is detectable, BUT
all the words get underlined - like those were incorrect - I would assume this means the dict itself is not working correctly?

Edited by Bartek B

14 minutes ago, Bartek B said:

It works now in the way that the language is detectable, BUT
all the words get underlined - like those were incorrect - I would assume this means the dict itself is not working correctly?

If you click in one of the words with the red underline, then look in the Character studio panel, and look at the Language section, is the Spelling language set to Polish?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks, Bartek. I'm out of ideas then. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:

21 minutes ago, Bartek B said:

could you point me towards other sources of language packs?

You can do an Internet search for Hunspell dictionaries to find some.

Google provided:
  https://github.com/wooorm/dictionaries
  https://www.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/dictionary.html
  https://www.freeoffice.com/en/download/dictionaries

I have not tried any of them.

When you installed the Polish dictionaries from the LibreOffice GitHub site, did you install all 3 files (pl_PL.dic, pl_PL.aff, hyph_pl_PL.dic)?

It's possible that the dictionaries need to be in UTF-8 format. Here's a copy of the LibreOffice files that I have re-encoded as UTF-8. You might try them and see if they work better for you:

pl_PL.zip

I've tried a few words from your post above and they seem to be accepted, but I can't do a real test.

-- Walt
PC:

25 minutes ago, Bartek B said:

Is selecting hypernation language enough to make it work?

You also need to enable automatic hyphenation in the Paragraph panel or in the Paragraph Text Style that you're using. And you may need to adjust the hypernation options there, too.

-- Walt
PC:

You'll need to ensure Auto-Hyphenation is turned on in the Paragraph panel:

But it also appears that if the text is "left align" (as yours is) then hyphenation will not be applied. This is typographically correct in UK English practice - only justified text should also be hyphenated. Screenshots below. In the first paragraph of the second shot, "porridge" is hyphenated:

143660703_Screenshot2020-02-07at17_27_56.png.79356fd315d6d0611e734bc6f7c5c6bf.png1213554152_Screenshot2020-02-07at17_21_42.thumb.png.067708338a9135c2f6b396d34b8c4faa.png

Hope this helps!

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Ah sorry @Bartek B, I missed the context of your original request. As a picture-editing app, I suspect Photo doesn't have much in the way of hyphenation options.

That said, in the 1.8  Beta versions (not sure about 1.7), a hyphenated text frame can be cut and pasted from Publisher into Photo and the resulting text will remain hyphenated and editable.

266515893_Screenshot2020-02-07at18_15_13.png.5f642452fab0499d911b37d986efc3a4.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 hour ago, Bartek B said:

not sure if thats the difference between Photo and Publisher,
my paragraph menu is much more limited than above

Sorry; I forgot you were a Photo user. Automatic hyphenation is a feature that only Publisher provides.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, h_d said:

if the text is "left align" (as yours is) then hyphenation will not be applied. This is typographically correct in UK English practice - only justified text should also be hyphenated

In proper EU languages hyphenation should apply also to left align text! Normal hyphenation controls adjust how much hyphenation is applied and of course it is possible set them so that no hyphenation is visible (unless you use words like "suurtehokolmivaihekilowattituntimittari").

I'm sure it varies from country to country - it's a matter of custom and practice, not of absolute right and wrong. And we do sometimes see hyphenated left-aligned text in the UK. But as an old-school print sub-editor it sets my teeth on edge. Except of course in special cases like 'antidisestablishmentarianism' and 'Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch' :10_wink: Mind you, if you're being really strict, proper nouns shouldn't be hyphenated even in justified text.

Honestly I don´t really like the idea, that such important elements like spellchecker and hyphenation are provided by freeware.
I would feel more confident, if this service was provided by professional products.

(optionally using the Spellchecker-engine of MS Office would be great: to have only one personal dictionary with all those job-/language-/business-related acronyms, abbreviations etc..)

Adding Online-Services for spell- and grammar-checking may raise problems with the GDPR, NDA etc.

kind regards
Fritz

@Lagarto 
well, the "engine" is one thing, but the dictionary is the more important part, I think.
If words are not listed in the dic you will get lots of false positives at the spell-check.

Additionally, Microsoft-Applications also recognize grammar mistakes - in german (!!)  ((not perfect, but pretty impressive...))

In the end you say that you still need ANY reliable Spellchecker - if its not included in the Graphics-Application, it needs to be another tool..

I guess the need depends on the work-situation:
If you are a professional Graphics-Service-provider who will receive all required content - resources you don´t have to care about spelling, grammar or quality of images: the Client is always right...
If you are less "Pro" you will appreciate a solid Spell- /Grammar- /Hyphenation- check Engine.

kind regards
Fritz