You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Document - set default-language

Hi,

As I already explained in an earlier posting...

... Affinity Software does not recognize Systems-Settings "Austrian-German" as German and therefore sets the spellchecking-language to "unknown".
I asked Serif to map all variants of "german" (Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Luxemburg) to Germany-german as a workaround.

Perhaps it´s a better approach, to add a language selector to the "new document"-Window.

Thanks.
Fritz

1 hour ago, Fritz_H said:

Perhaps it´s a better approach, to add a language selector to the "new document"-Window.

That would be interesting, Fritz.

However, it's possible that there's another approach you can use now. Try this:

1. Create a new document.
  2. In the Text Styles panel, double-click on the Base text style to open the editing dialog.
  3. In the Language tab, specify German as the Spelling language.
  4. Click OK to close the dialog.
  5. Click the Hamburger menu for the Text Styles panel, and choose Save Styles as Default.

That will set the default spelling language for the Base text style to German. And, if you're lucky, Publisher won't override it with "unknown". And then all the other text styles will also be German as they all inherit from Base.

(I would try this myself, but I'm unwilling to make all the necessary changes to my Windows settings to get a proper test. Sorry :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell 

Thanks for the nice idea; tried it - but did not succeed. (perhaps my fault..)

In general I really think that there should be such a language selector in the "new Document"-Window.
Imagine a graphics artist doing a Client-Job in a foreign language.

Defaulting to the language-settings of the computer where to software is running is convenient, but wrong.
Just think of countries with more than one official language .
(Switzerland, Malta, Spain, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Finland, Greenland, Canada, South Africa, USA ?, Cyprus...)

kind regards
Fritz

• 3 months later...

Guys,

I have to stick to PagePlus.

Spelling is very hard to manage with Affinity Publisher.

I want a simple thing:

1) the user interface is English or any other interface language supported by Affinity, regardless of the computer OS set-up.

2) Uncouple the spelling languages from the Affinity interface language; e.g.interface in English, spelling in French

3) Please provide:

- a single command to define the spelling language for the whole document.
This should be used as initial set-up or to overrule language settings of imported PDFs
Note: PDF imports from Pageplus which are correct in French are not understood as such by Affinity and are shown as incorrect because English is used as default spelling language by Affinity.

- a command to define the spelling language by page (right click on the Master page and the Page views - adjust the spelling language on the spread dialog)

- a command to define the language by text block (right click)

- it should be easy to manage multi-lingual documents and toggle spelling by page/blocks of text etc, in a WYSiWYG way

4) BUG ? if you change the spelling language in the Preferences/Auto-correct, whatever you do, it always go back to English and the change of spelling language does not occur.

Note: the spelling Help explanations are not clear and do not seem to provide practical help for the spelling questions.

Regards, Philippe

32 minutes ago, pdussart said:

4) BUG ? if you change the spelling language in the Preferences/Auto-correct, whatever you do, it always go back to English and the change of spelling language does not occur.

Not a bug, as far as I know. The Auto-Correct settings do not specify the language to use. Instead, they specify the standard corrections to make if that language is being used.

So, if you have English and French text, the English auto-corrections are used for the English text, and the French auto-corrections are used for the French text.

36 minutes ago, pdussart said:

2) Uncouple the spelling languages from the Affinity interface language; e.g.interface in English, spelling in French

That is already possible. All text styles will inherit from the style named Base by default, so just set Base to the default language you want to use.

38 minutes ago, pdussart said:

it should be easy to manage multi-lingual documents and toggle spelling by page/blocks of text etc, in a WYSiWYG way

You can do that for blocks of text by assigning Character or Paragraph Text Styles to them, where each language has its own set of Text Styles.

So, for example, if your primary language in a document is French, then define the Base style as using French. Then define a Character Text Style that makes no changes except for specifying a different Spelling Language. Assign that Character text style to blocks of text in the other language.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1