You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroking text in Publisher

I've been struggling for days on a strange little problem. I have used the stroke panel before to create a faux bold for a single family font (Gabriola).

Suddenly I found it impossible to do this in a new document and have spent ages trying everything. I went back to my earlier work and found that the stroked text was still stroked and editable.

The only difference is that the first document, is text in a text box drawn on the page in question; in the new document it is text placed in a master page text frame . It seems text flowed into text boxes created by a master page cannot be stroked.

Surely I should be able to stroke the text in either case?!

Create a Character or Paragraph style and add a small outline, and apply it to the text box on the page you cannot manually add a stroke too.
Screen-Shot-2020-02-07-at-08-21-13.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Anjux3 said:

Surely I should be able to stroke the text in either case?!

Only certain attributes are detached from a text frame derived from a Master Page (MP) -  the stroke is not one of them

To modify attributes that are not detached from the MP you have to use the Edit Detached function.

Side note: If you know in advance that every Text Frame will need, say, a stroke of 1px and in a Red color you can set that up on the MP text frame when you create it and all new Text Frames you edit from that point forward will have those settings - (but subsequently changing a Master Page's stroke or stroke color will not change it on any existing text frames already created)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Many thanks for the replies Carl  and first defence

Unfortunately edit detached is not available in the layers menu (I tried this as I have had to use this feature a few times when the moving items on a master page did not result in a move on an actual page!)

Because what I am working on is a compilation of short poems using a variety of fonts , I'm simply going to create free text frames where I need to stroke Gabriola for example.

5 minutes ago, Anjux3 said:

Unfortunately edit detached is not available in the layers menu

Goto the page and right-click the Master Page layer in the Layers panel to get the Edit Detached option

Then select the text layer and change the stroke

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, Anjux3 said:

Carl - brilliant! Thanks so much. I was trying to use edit detached on the text layer.

That's an amazing assist.

This is one of those little things that drives me up the wall. Why can't we select a layer and right click and then edit detached?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

This is one of those little things that drives me up the wall. Why can't we select a layer and right click and then edit detached?

Isn't that the way it works now?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Isn't that the way it works now?

You have to click on the Master Page, clicking on a layer from a master page doesn't work.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

You have to click on the Master Page, clicking on a layer from a master page doesn't work.

I am not sure what you mean by "click on the Master Page." To use "Edit Detached" you have to right-click on a layer in the Layers panel with a document page selected. That is the only context where "Edit Detached" makes any sense.

If you could do this on a Master page layer what would it be detached from?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you could do this on a Master page layer what would it be detached from?

The Master Page. I frequently edit detached Master Page items, they are on their own layers in the Master Page on the page. I have yet to edit an entire Master Page, just the one or two items (layers) I am wanting to edit.

16 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The Master Page. I frequently edit detached Master Page items, they are on their own layers in the Master Page on the page.

Sorry to be so dense but what kind of page are you referring to? AFAIK, document pages are the only ones that 'attach' anything from master pages so I am still puzzled by what exactly it is you are trying to detach from what.

Affinity Photo 

743249482_ScreenShot2020-02-07at3_25_19PM.png.0d2a6f593b0adfdc8b1b6686bb985322.png573810007_ScreenShot2020-02-07at3_25_02PM.png.aa40858eae0b2d761bcd647c7c78d0ba.png 

This is Right Clicking on a Master Page in a page and Right Clicking on a Layer in a Master Page in a page.

36 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This is Right Clicking on a Master Page in a page and Right Clicking on a Layer in a Master Page in a page.

I confess I am having a lot of trouble understanding what that sentence means but if you mean you can't detach a child layer of a master page on a document page to edit it independently of the parent master page, I am not sure why you would want to limit yourself to doing that.

This is because when I want to detach & edit master page content applied to a document page, I want the freedom to edit any of its child layers without having to 'finish'' each one individually & then go back to the Layers panel to pick another child, right-click "Edit Detached" there, move the pointer back into the workspace to edit it, & then click the "Finish" button again before doing something else, which could well be editing yet another of the child layers of the same master parent.

Maybe I am still missing something but it just seems like an extremely inefficient way to work.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

Maybe I am still missing something but it just seems like an extremely inefficient way to work.

To be honest, 9 out of 10 times I only want to edit one particular layer derived from a Master Page, so efficiently wise it would be nice to have the option to just use Edit Detached directly on that layer.

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

I confess I am having a lot of trouble understanding what that sentence means but if you mean you can't detach a child layer of a master page on a document page to edit it independently of the parent master page, I am not sure why you would want to limit yourself to doing that.

This is because when I want to detach & edit master page content applied to a document page, I want the freedom to edit any of its child layers without having to 'finish'' each one individually & then go back to the Layers panel to pick another child, right-click "Edit Detached" there, move the pointer back into the workspace to edit it, & then click the "Finish" button again before doing something else, which could well be editing yet another of the child layers of the same master parent.

If the Master Page is expanded the various layers of that Master Page cannot be right clicked to edit them, the Master Page itself must be right clicked then the layer must be selected (again). I would like to be able to click on any layer and have the ability to choose Edit Detached from the context menu. This would apply to the entire Master Page, your point about having to then click on every layer would indeed be next to useless.

As it functions now it is a minor niggle that bothers me.

Many thanks all for the inputs and thoughts.

I think we are all essentially saying the same thing really - it would be great if a right click on a Master Page item on an actual page allowed you to edit detached. It seems a bit clunky as is but still a useful feature.

It would also be very helpful if alert dialogues were generated to let you know why you can't edit something. For example, I recently copied an item from a master page element on a page, and pasted it into a newly created textbox off-document (for temporary storage) - immediately it became ineditable - I couldn't select, copy or delete it (sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't...I can't fathom why!). Anyway, if as I click on it there was a message to say what its current state of ineditability was and why...it would be helpful (I have to remember or guess that editing detached might work, and guess which of my master pages it might be attached to!!)