You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop tool doesn't snap to edges of layers?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo said:

I've tried every snap option and I can't figure this out. When I drag the crop tool inward, it won't snap to anything. I want it to snap to different layers that are present. How do I make that work?

If you're talking about Photo, the Crop Tool will snap to the image edges, and to Guides. It is not sensitive to layers, probably because it is cropping the image, not cropping a layer.

If you're talking about the Designer Persona of Designer, the Crop Tool is layer-oriented, and will start out snapped to the edges of the active layer you're cropping.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/6/2020 at 1:03 PM, walt.farrell said:

If you're talking about Photo, the Crop Tool will snap to the image edges, and to Guides. It is not sensitive to layers, probably because it is cropping the image, not cropping a layer.

If you're talking about the Designer Persona of Designer, the Crop Tool is layer-oriented, and will start out snapped to the edges of the active layer you're cropping.

Talking about photo. Yes it's cropping the image, but I use different layers as boundaries that I expect to be snappable when I use the crop tool. That's how it works in Photoshop.

10 hours ago, Buffalo said:

Talking about photo. Yes it's cropping the image, but I use different layers as boundaries that I expect to be snappable when I use the crop tool. That's how it works in Photoshop.

But Photo is not Photoshop, and you'll find that many things work differently.

Feel free to make a Feature Request, or concur to an existing one. Perhaps the Serif team will agree it should be possible, and make a change someday.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

but I use different layers as boundaries that I expect to be snappable when I use the crop too

Use guides to snap to those boundaries then cropping will snap to the guides

It's what I do when I need a precision crop

It may not be Photoshop but I don't have to pay every month to be able to do it their way

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Note: that quote was from @Buffalo, not from me. (But I did, also, mention using Guides, earlier :) )

-- Walt
PC:

Ah, I quoted his post from your post and it used your name - I will need to look out for that in the future

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.