You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pro Print PDF Trapping Error

Kai-S

Good afternoon!

I have just finished building a 188 page catalogue in Publisher and so far it has worked pretty well! Apart from a few glitches, of course.

One last minute issue I ran into was PDF Export for professional print use. Unfortunately they could not get the exported PDF files through Prinergy for pre-press because of trapping errors.

The only solution to get this working was to export the PDF with all fonts converted into curves at export. 

All in all I found Affinity to be a great piece of software but there really is some work left regarding PDF export and colour management for professional print use, I would say!

Using Windows 10 Pro Build 18362.592, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481

Have a great evening

Kai

What version of Prinergy? Do you have the PDF trapping plug in?

What was the actual trapping errors? Were spot colors on tone involved? Did it choke when it should have spread?  Sometimes, you do have to make .eps because of odd transparency issues, but if it's font trapping that should be able to be done with the plug in.

What version of PDF (1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7) is being exported?

If it is black type not overprinting, there are a few things you can do.

If it is fonts not embedding correctly, that's something else.

I love to work on this kind of stuff.

Detective work.

I guess that somethings work differently with different apps and how the RIPS apply them, what they are expecting. In certain programs (Illustrator, for example) work arounds became the normal way of getting jobs out, then something new comes around and you gotta use your time and noggin to figure out how to make it work with your system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rodi,

thanks for getting back on this. Unfortunately I will have to check back with the pre-press department of the printer since I do not have access to their systems. I will get back to this if I am able to get the information from them.

I can confirm though that there were no spot colours involved. Also I based PDF export on PDF X/1a so PDF Version is 1.4 but we had also tried various combinations regarding export settings. The only thing that got through trapping was either converting fonts to curves or rasterizing the entire document.

Thanks for your help 

Kai