You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App crash constantly

Moneitor

Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry for my english.

Second, congratullations to the Affinity Team, Affinity Photo is a great app.

I'll try to explain what happens.

Incidents

• Unexpected app closure after make some layers movement.
  • After making changes, when goes back to the main window, it seems that changes has been saved but when you open it again, changes have dissapeared
  • While working with the App, it can be seen how performance has decreased compared to previous versions, it takes longer to execute tasks (Moving a group of layers)

When they happened?

• When i move a group of layers:
    • Group Panel 1: Moving to X = 15
    • Group Panel 2: Moving to Y = 540
    • Group Panel 3: Moving to X = 785

Affinity Photo version

iPad specifications

Tested on two ipads with the same results

• iPad Pro 10,5"
  • HDD 256Gb
  • iOS 13.3.1

• iPad Pro 9,7"
  • HDD 128Gb
  • iOS 13.3

Attached the project to review the incident.

Salutations,

Soto Martínez, Ramón.

Panels_Move_Crash.afphoto

Edited by Moneitor

• Staff

Hey Moneitor, welcome to the Affinity Forums and thank you for a brilliant first post!

I wasn't getting the crash in those specific location but the file is crashing for me when attempting to drag the group around.

I'm going to ask the developers to see if they can identify the reason for the crash.

Meanwhile, could you try and record your screen whilst moving the group around and see if the crash also crashes the screen recorder? 

28 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Moneitor, welcome to the Affinity Forums and thank you for a brilliant first post!

I wasn't getting the crash in those specific location but the file is crashing for me when attempting to drag the group around.

I'm going to ask the developers to see if they can identify the reason for the crash.

Meanwhile, could you try and record your screen whilst moving the group around and see if the crash also crashes the screen recorder? 

Hi Chris B,

I attached two files:

1. First record shows my pecific location. When i goes back to the main form, the app tries to save changes and then occurs an unexpected closure.
  2. Second video is what you have requested, and the final is the same xDDDD.

As you can see on both videos, before i click the solution, it seems that the changes have been saved, but when app load the solution these have disappeared. 

• Staff

Thank you for the screen recordings. I have logged this with the development team.

I went through the groups to see if anything stood out but they look fine. 

Could you try restarting the iPad to see if this improves things? I think there may be a potential issue with handling memory so a simple restart may help, but likely only temporarily. 

@Chris B hi Chris, for what it’s worth, after moving the layers around a bit, this file also crashed on my iPad Pro. 😕

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Well this is logged with the developers so if I get any feedback I will let you know. Hopefully they can just fix it. I've tried picking it apart to see if I can figure out a way to get you moving on with the file but it just crashes.

I suspect it may be related to the FX—there's approx 25 FX layers in each of the groups. If you're finished with the designs side, as a test you could try rasterising the layers and see if this helps. 

Hello there guys,

I have the exact same thing happening to my 2018 iPad (6th generation, 10 inch, non Pro) on Affinity Photo. The app barely stays open for a minute before it crashes to the main screen. I am using the Apple Pencil on a file with 3 layers (about 2500x2500 pixels) that the app and the device can handle normally based on other similar images I created in the past. The app will crash no matter if it is the only one that is running on the iPad or not and it will happen after any user input. I have used a brush and It will crash like between the 1st and the 10th stroke. It will crash If I will try to resize, save or take any other action on the document. Sometimes crashes are instant, others are like a minute max later. On the latter, saving the document although may seem successful, may not happen once the app and file reopens. The second video DM1 posted is exactly what I am facing as well.

Everything started after the latest iPadOS version (13.3.1) was installed overnight. Yesterday on the same file, with the previous iPadOS version everything was smooth.

Hope that helps.

Bill.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Well this is logged with the developers so if I get any feedback I will let you know. Hopefully they can just fix it. I've tried picking it apart to see if I can figure out a way to get you moving on with the file but it just crashes.

I suspect it may be related to the FX—there's approx 25 FX layers in each of the groups. If you're finished with the designs side, as a test you could try rasterising the layers and see if this helps. 

Ok, i will try to delete some layers that isn't necessary to do what i want to do. Before make those changes, i'll make a copy of my solution :) , beacause i need those layers to do other variations that i have in mind :) . I'm sure that your developer team will find the solution. I'm a developer and we always find the solution :) .

if you need anything else do not hesitate to contact me (don't know if hesitate is correct :) )

Salutations,

Soto Martínez, Ramón.

I have to confirm. Love the app and used it quite frequently last year. Today i used it again and the app crashes on a constant basis. It looks like it crashes after a specific amount of actions or time. Sometimes it crashes when exporting to photos, or when creating an empty group or just resizing.

My project is basically just 2-3 images and a text on top if it, nothing fancy, and i use the 2018 iPad Pro, 11" version. I'm also on iPad OS 13.3.1.

Hope you guys can figure this out, i always lose progress with the crash.

• Staff

I'm still poking this. I can get the app to crash randomly—usually by snapping objects or moving them around but I can't get an exact recipe to guarantee the developers will get the same crash.

I'm not sure if it's related to the OS and we just need an update or if there's an actual underlying issue. It is being investigated though. I realise everyone has work to do and crashing which results in loss of work is serious.

I’m also having repeated crashes, although it’s not seemingly related to layers, but with brushes.... the app crashes “randomly” when the pencil touches the screen. I only purchased AF today, but have been using Designer for about a week with similar issues. That being said, I love the programs, especially due to the fact they are a legitimate alternative to Adobe, and great value for money, so really, the occasional crash isn’t an issue, especially considering not much progress is lost each time. That being said, it would be great to have it fixed...clearly.

• Staff

Hi Mark,

I'm hoping to see an update to the iPad apps at some point. It is slipping behind the desktop versions as they've all had betas recently and we've seen tons of fixes, tweaks and improvements. 

The crashing is seemingly being reported more often than it was a couple of months ago which makes me wonder if it is related to the OS updated. 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi Mark,

I'm hoping to see an update to the iPad apps at some point. It is slipping behind the desktop versions as they've all had betas recently and we've seen tons of fixes, tweaks and improvements. 

The crashing is seemingly being reported more often than it was a couple of months ago which makes me wonder if it is related to the OS updated. 

Awesome, cheers for the update Chris! Puts my mind to rest some 🙏🏻

• Staff

Morning,

That new file works much better. I've checked the bug report and it looks like some work has been done to prevent the issue happening on the original file which is good. I cannot test it yet as I don't have the build but I'll take a peek when I can.

Same problem here.

iPad Air 3 64Gb 13.3.1

The app crashes when i take the photos from an external SD reader. I mean, i import it with the "Files" app ("Archivos" in Spanish, i dont know the exact name on English Language), i can see the photo on the app, and when i edit something, like "Tapón de clonar", the app crashes and when i start it again, and tap the photo to open it and continue editing, it crashes directly. 

I use a pencil too, but in my case it's a fake pencil, not the official Apple Pencil. Do the same functions except the pressure sensor. 

Hope i help something, and sorry for my english mistakes.

EDIT: Also i tried reinstalling the app multiple times, but no differences. 

Edited by DavidFS23

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I've tested 1.8.0 version with the original solution added at the first post.

TEST :

1. Moving Panel 1 to point [x = 20px] [y = 200px]
  2. Moving Panel 2 to point [x = 400px] [y = 540px]
  3. Moving Panel 3 to point [x = 785px] [y = 200px]

RESULT:

1. Unexpected app closure solved
  2. When you try to save your progress, the app remains working for a long time at the main form, it seems that trying to save the solution, but finally i have to force the clousure.
  3. When i open again the app, i can see the miniature image like progress was saved, but when i open the solution the progress was lost.

Salutations,

Soto Martínez, Ramón.

• Staff

Hey Moneitor,

I've been testing the file you attached in the Affinity Photo iPad beta and after 20 mins, I've had no crashes at all. It looks like a fix was submitted against the 1.8 retail version but you are clearly still having an issue. Perhaps the beta has further improved this. I'll monitor it during the beta phase.

• 1 year later...