You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.7.3 - Batch Convert of Nikon RAW files into JPG gives VERY dark image results....

Software

- Affinity Photo 1.7.3

- Windows 10 Version 1909

- Plenty of RAM, disk space and graphics capability.

Just a quick question.

1. I've imported around 30 Nikon NEF RAW images directly from camera into Affinity Photo.

2. I have then carried out a Batch Copnvertion Process in Affinity Photo to get these images into JPG format.

3. The Affinity Photo Batch Convert Process was actually very smooth and fast enough - it worked well in terms of the time that it took and the method of carrying out the conversion process.

Anyway, this is when issues started

4. When looking at the results of this batch convert process, ALL of the resulting 30 JPG images are a little too dark to be useable to be honest, using the default settings for the import.

5. I've then gone and tested the same Nikon NEF RAW images in Adobe products, to look at the same images, to see how these turn out, and ALL of these NEF images convert into JPG and the results are totally fine - no issues at all with dark images via this route.

6. Just wanted to make you aware of this.

a) I only ran this process with default NEF images files direct from camera.

I did not try to convert camera images from NEF into DNG format BEFORE importing into Affinity Photo because I would prefer not to use

an additional DNG file because of storage issues, time taken to convert images twice and so on.

Kind Regards

Hazard

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Hazard.

If you Open a RAW image it goes through the Develop Persona, and the Develop Assistant options provide some default processing. Any other use of a RAW image skips the Develop Persona and the Develop Assistant, and is likely to give worse results because of the more simplified processing.  This is well known to longer-term users of the software and readers of the forums, and to Serif. I think they view it as an opportunity for future improvement, rather than a bug, but I'm not sure of that.

You can try doing a batch conversion of one of the RAW files to .afphoto, and then recording a macro to make it look better. You can then apply that macro during the Batch processing to get an approximate result.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for this, both of you.

I've also just posted a suggestion/query into the  "New Features Section" of the  Forum. This is to try and start further discussion on these processes.

This is because it's obvious from the notes above - and also from comments that I've read from other Affinity Users in the Forum's - that different users require different facilities/features in and from Affinity Photo Software. And I guess that it's not always possible to keep User's happy - all of the time, or some of the time !

FWIW, the new 1.8.0.164 Photo Customer Beta for Mac lists "Improved handling of RAW files when using batch processing" as one of its changes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the update on this. I'm running Windows 10 OS but this is interesting, especially as the "rename the app1.0 folder to 1.1 and so on'' does not actually improve the situation on a temporary basis in Win10 at the moment, nor does the reset option (holding down the ctrl key etc. etc.) 

IF anybody wants to see the Procedure to manually process 300+ images from RAW to JPG then I am happy to forward the loop (for information) but you are already probably very aware if it yourselves.

Kind Regards

Hazard

• Staff
7 hours ago, R C-R said:

the new 1.8.0.164 Photo Customer Beta for Mac lists "Improved handling of RAW files when using batch processing" as one of its changes.

FYI

The current Windows Beta 1.8.0.532 build does not have this fix included (changelist is here). This code was changed very recently and should be included in the next Windows beta (.555 or above)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

should be included in the next Windows beta (.155 or above)

Um, Windows is already at .532 :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Woops.

Also @Hazard has left the forums so locking this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon