You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alice,

I leave it for the devs to respond definitively but my perception is that transferring presets from one RAW convertor to another is not a trivial, nor necessarily meaningful, exercise.

There is no such thing as a "correct" or "definitive" RAW conversion because there are so many different ways to convert a RAW file.  For example, a RAW file does not have any colour information in it in the RGB sense that photo editing software uses.  RAW pixels each have a colour filter on them and they capture only the intensity of that particular filtered light.  Re-constructing RGB pixels can be done in several ways all of which are approximations of the actual colour at that point in the field of view.

RAW pixels are also linear in that they double their intensity if they are hit by twice as many photons - but that's not the way our eyes (or monitors/printers) respond, so RAW convertors apply a contrast (gamma) curve to the pixels before they are rendered.

For a Lightroom preset to look the same in AP would require AP to use exactly the same RAW conversion algorithm as Lightroom.  This is unlikely to be the case because I suspect Lightroom's algorithms are proprietary and unpublished and because they are also not necessarily the best possible converters.  For example, the latest Lightroom process applies significant highlight recovery by default, which is not the best way to extract maximum dynamic range from an image.  There is a strong argument to suggest that you are better off using Lightroom's process 2010 rather than the newer 2012 process.

AP is arguably better off trying to provide its own workflows rather than trying to mimic the workflows of competitors. 

Thank You

for Your answer, Coranda,

although I actually understood very little of it. Everything under the hood to me is pretty much rocket science. But I gathered that getting the presets to work in Affinity is not very likely? A pity that is.

Does the same apply to PS actions, too?

Alice

Alice, my thoughts were just that it may be difficult to create a preset in AP that will always behave exactly the same way as a Lightroom preset on all photos.

As for actions, that should be less of a problem as it is just a sequential set of operations.  Difficulties would probably only arise when an action contains a PS operation that AP does not have or if AP does something in a significantly different way from PS.

Hopefully, when the Macro Persona is ready, it will include a way to load PS actions.  I would think that's something the developers would want to include.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...