You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Franklin Gothic on 1.7.3 for Windows but not Mac

43 minutes ago, nole0105 said:

I have Affinity Designer at work and at home, both version 1.7.3.  The Windows version has the font Franklin Gothic, however the Mac version doesn't.  How do I get Franklin Gothic on the Mac version?

https://www.freefonts.io/franklin-gothic-font-free/

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

On 2/5/2020 at 4:31 PM, nole0105 said:

I have Affinity Designer at work and at home, both version 1.7.3.  The Windows version has the font Franklin Gothic, however the Mac version doesn't.  How do I get Franklin Gothic on the Mac version?

Franklin Gothic does not come with Affinity apps.

Franklin Gothic comes with Windows.

By purchasing and installing a copy of Windows – or having it pre-installed – you are licenced to use the fonts installed with that copy of the OS on that machine and, quite possibly, that machine only.
By copying any particular font to a different machine you may be breaking a license agreement, with potential negative legal consequences.
Check that you can do what you want to do before doing it.

P.S. None of the Affinity applications install any fonts on your machine.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

By purchasing and installing a copy of Windows – or having it pre-installed – you are licenced to use the fonts installed with that copy of the OS on that machine and, quite possibly, that machine only.
By copying any particular font to a different machine you may be breaking a license agreement, with potential negative legal consequences.
Check that you can do what you want to do before doing it.

P.S. None of the Affinity applications install any fonts on your machine.

Good point.

However, 90 % of font foundries allow you to install and use purchased fonts on 5 computers, not just a single one (of course, you can't redistribute and/or share them). So this shouldn't be an issue in this case.

It heavily depends on a the fondry it was bought from. There are dozens of versions of Franklin Gothic out there, from Monotype, Linotype, Bitstream, Tilde, Red Rooster, ATF, EF, Scangraphics, DTS, TS, ITC, URW, FF... The outlines are free, just the metrics and font features are different and can be copyrighted (so called font software).

I will take this opportunity to remind of the Google Fonts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fonts

Free to use, even commercially afaik, and almost 1000 Fonts to chose from.
They may be downloaded individually - it´s not necessary to install the Skyfonts-Application.

One downside I found: they are just TTF,  not OpenType (Postscript flavoured)

kind regards
Fritz

On 2/5/2020 at 4:31 PM, nole0105 said:

You may want to consider a similar free open source alternative.

Franklin-Gothic-Alternative.thumb.png.6ca360637fcb99b04b1f0ffff593f690.png

Available in OTF, TTF, and WOFF

On 2/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, Fritz_H said:

I will take this opportunity to remind of the Google Fonts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fonts

Free to use, even commercially afaik, and almost 1000 Fonts to chose from.
They may be downloaded individually - it´s not necessary to install the Skyfonts-Application.

One downside I found: they are just TTF,  not OpenType (Postscript flavoured)

kind regards
Fritz

There are many Google Fonts which include OpenType features. Font Squirrel is another good source.

10 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

BTW: nice tool to identify a font:

https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

kind regards
Fritz

There’s also the Font Matcherator from Fontspring, and (my current favourite) What Font Is.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There are many Google Fonts which include OpenType features. Font Squirrel is another good source.

Google-Fonts and OTF:
I downloaded the whole Google-Font-Pack a few days ago and it did not contain a single OTF-File...

?

edit: at the source-location of the Font we may find the OTF-Version, but not at https://fonts.google.com/

Fritz

13 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

edit: at the source-location of the Font we may find the OTF-Version, but not at https://fonts.google.com/

Have you tried for example https://fonts.google.com/selection?selection.family=Source+Sans+Pro ?

Also, I don't know if this might be related somehow, just something I have always been puzzled about, or what, but in Font Book on my Mac, quite a few fonts are identified as "Kind: OpenType TrueType," including ones like Roboto from Google. Some of the typefaces in these font families have an .otf file extension, some have a .ttf extension, & some have a mix of both.

Anybody have a clue why this is or what it means?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, MikeW said:

OpenType can use TrueType curves or Postscript curves. So in your example it is an OTF using TTF curves.

Any idea why Font Book says for example that Roboto is an "OpenType TrueType" font but all its typefaces have the .ttf file extension? IOW, does this mean (at least on Macs) just checking a font's file extension is not a reliable way to tell if it is a OTF font or not?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The download contains only the TrueType-Version (TTF).

In the "old days" there was Bitmap-Fonts (for the Screen-Display) and corresponding Printer-Fonts (for Printing...)
Then came Postscript-Fonts and TrueType-Fonts.
Both use Splines (?) to describe the curves but Postscript does it better. (more Details on Wikipedia)
But: TrueType can be displayed on Screen and be rendered for printing while Postscript-Fonts (also called Type-1 - Fonts) needed extra-Software
for Screen-Rendering (or again a Bitmap-Sibling).
That was the time, when every Mac had ATM (Adobe Type Manager) installed to Screen-Render those PS-Fonts.
(not to be mistaken with ATM-Deluxe which added Font-Management-Features).
Later Apple added the ability to read TTF-Fonts, but as far as I remember, the Apple TTF was incompatible to Windows-TTF-Fonts. (of course!)
This mess was promised to end as OpenType was invented.
Open-Type is somehow a container. The Font inside may be just TrueType (*.TTF) or the superior Postscript (*.OTF)

image.png.5644d088de1b1104ec61683f47ade46c.pngimage.png.73451a0a96e79a6243db34c6ebc6aef3.png   

image.png.4002a232828b874797bc56aa533ffa70.png

kind regards
Fritz

23 hours ago, R C-R said:

does this mean (at least on Macs) just checking a font's file extension is not a reliable way to tell if it is a OTF font or not?

Yes. Same on all OS's.

23 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

or the superior Postscript

Nonsense. Adobe/Mac FUD from 20 years ago.
Be happy to fill a page with text from the same font and in both formats,
and you can tell me which parts are the "superior" examples and why.