You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When using ellipse marquee, crl / cmd should mean "expand from center"

I'm really not sure why crl doesn't have the ellipse marquee start growing from center instead of corner. It does this with the circle polygon tool, why not this selection tool? Also, I would like to do crl + shift in order to both expand from center and to lock it to circular.

Same thing applies to the rectangle marquee. Same thing also applies to the crop tool, which (in unconstrained mode) is missing both shift and crl.

• 5 months later...

One complication is that both control and command already have assigned functions for this tool.  There are no modifiers left to use for this.

However, as the function assigned to the command key only has an effect when the user drags from within the selection, it could be made to do this when the mouse is not over an existing selection when starting the drag, and retain its current behavior when the mouse is over an existing selection.

This might still leave Windows users out in the cold, as the same could not be done as readily with the current control key behavior...  I'm not sure how things are mapped on Windows so not sure how this would align with what is currently in use there.

Good points, hopefully the folks @ Serif can come up with something reasonable. Maybe a preference or something might work.

If anyone else lands here like I did looking for ideas, simply drop guides at the edges of the circle, and use shift to constrain, and drag back over until it is the right size. Not great but works.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I also found that the selection tool with the option to start selecting from the centre point is missing at Affinity Photo, and no way to customize the selection tool by holding the Command key on my Mac version. Funny that starting from the centre is available at the Vector Shape Tools. I'd say this function is extremely useful with my 30-year photo retouch experience with Photoshop (I purchased Affinity Photo recently for my new personal laptop ). I wish Affinity development team can add this function.

Edited by APoon

First - welcome to Affinity! I too made the switch since using Photoshop since 1993. At first my questions were all "how do I do X in AP that I did in PS?" Now PS looks clunky when I see people use it and I realize the AP folks really have a nice way of doing things that make sense. You made a great decision to get a better tool at a reasonable price! 

As to the selection thing, yes, it is a bit odd that only in AP selections is the drag from center not available. I just tried it in Designer and Publisher (if you EVER did desktop publishing back in the day check it out. After using PS to do flyers and brochures I finally have a real DTP platform back) - and all the other tools that do drag-something have the CMD from center. I'm sure it will get into AP in a future release. For now I just drop guides at the top/side edges and start at the intersection - gets the job done!

Again welcome!

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

One of the developers mentioned months ago that the ability to centre you transformation with the Elliptical Marquee Tool is going to be added in 1.9. My guess is that will also apply to the Rectangular Marquee Tool as well.

I purchased the Mac version AP around June which is 1.8.3 and the latest update from last week is 1.8.4, may be version 1.9 is only for Windows!?

1 minute ago, APoon said:

I purchased the Mac version AP around June which is 1.8.3 and the latest update from last week is 1.8.4, may be version 1.9 is only for Windows!?

Eh, no? Serif always release the same features and content updates for each platform. There are of course unique bugs for each platform and some unique features that are platform specific because of the differences between Mac and PC, but overall they releases are nearly identical. I highly doubt this feature will be PC exclusive.

4 minutes ago, APoon said:

Searched on Affinity website and Google, AP has launched 1.8.4 for Mac on Aug 3

... also the Windows version at the same time!

1.9 is probably a while off yet! But it is almost certain that it will be released for both Mac and Windows at the same time.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

... also the Windows version at the same time!

1.9 is probably a while off yet! But it is almost certain that it will be released for both Mac and Windows at the same time.

Yeah, that make sense. Will wait for the update.