You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector patterns | swatches

They’re not very good at showing it (not referring to just this issue). A forum is one of the worst ways to handle bug reports and feature requests. I also remember reading from a member of the team (on twitter? a good while ago) that it was low priority and they weren’t even sure if they were going to build it.

I don’t mean to doubt you, but without official confirmation, it means little.

I’m not trying to be confrontational, but I’ll believe it when I see it. AD can’t even expand strokes correctly. It also can’t do incredibly basic things like pressing the space bar to temporarily move objects or be consistent with tabbing to move through fields, or have a decent pathfinder, or join points from different shapes. It also has substandard artboards which are little more than layers with a different name.

To someone who has never used their other apps (pre-Affinity) the “Serif treatment” is far from impressive. In fact, it is so frequently bad that I’d rather they didn’t give it the Serif treatment at all and just copied what works.

As does everything. But that is far from reassuring. The promise of a feature (and not even that, since again, there’s no official acknowledgement) does not mean it will be built. Especially when there’s no ETA and it’s something to do eventually. For all we know, it’ll be years before it is implemented.

How about you remove yourself from here and just use what you like? There’s no need to bad mouth hard-working people at a company that up until they came along there had been no real competition for Adobe. So just go away, you obviously don’t like it here.

And if you think you can’t make a vector pattern with the tools AD has now, you obviously need some basic vector schooling.

How about you remove yourself from here and just use what you like? There’s no need to bad mouth hard-working people at a company that up until they came along there had been no real competition for Adobe. So just go away, you obviously don’t like it here.

And if you think you can’t make a vector pattern with the tools AD has now, you obviously need some basic vector schooling.

You’re the one taking it personally, why not remove yourself from the conversation instead?

I wouldn’t criticise the tool if I didn’t see potential in it. Nowhere in my comment did I badmouth anyone. I commented on the tool, not the people making it.

Your argument is nonsensical and made out of anger. This thread is about a tool for a specific purpose. You can also make a pattern using MS Paint, but that’s not what we’re discussing.

It almost looks like you're saying, "No noise," Oval. I don't think that is what Vital was implying.  :D

Vector patterns would be a great feature to have. The thing that stinks on our end is the wait for a lot of our desirable features, but then again, there are so many.

or have a decent pathfinder, or join points from different shapes. . For all we know, it’ll be years before it is implemented.

May I ask what you find inconvenient about these two features? Just as an FYI.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

It almost looks like you're saying, "No noise," Oval.  I don't think that is what Vital was implying. 

Art (of reading) needs the skills of the viewer. ;) You can read/interpret/see what you want and you can write what you want. Depends on the skills. If there will be a “Vital” he can think what he wants. Perhaps “Vital” only reads “noise” or “no nonsense” or … Well, “Vital” could tell us if “Vital” drops in … 

May I ask what you find inconvenient about these two features? Just as an FYI.

Problem with joining points.

As for the pathfinder, it’s the same issue with expanding strokes: it makes way too many points. It’s impossible to trust its results. I always need to check back and manually fix its mistakes. And if I miss one, that may mean redoing hours of work (I rely on pathfinder for extremely complex shapes). Affinity Designer is marketed as being extremely precise, but most times I do an operation that requires precision, it fumbles. It’s hands down the most imprecise vector tool I’ve ever used regularly.

The teams is aware of these two problems, yet solving them is not on the roadmap. I’d say the basics should be fixed before even thinking about adding more features.

Art (of reading) needs the skills of the viewer. ;) You can read/interpret/see what you want and you can write what you want. Depends on the skills. If there will be a “Vital” he can think what he wants. Perhaps “Vital” only reads “noise” or “no nonsense” or … Well, “Vital” could tell us if “Vital” drops in … 

I am sorry. I meant for that to sound like a friendly remark. There was a bit of a debate going on above with a post Vitor received, so I wanted to add a little bit of a mood change since everyone is entitled to have their objections. My apologies.

Problem with joining points.

As for the pathfinder, it’s the same issue with expanding strokes: it makes way too many points. It’s impossible to trust its results. I always need to check back and manually fix its mistakes. And if I miss one, that may mean redoing hours of work (I rely on pathfinder for extremely complex shapes). Affinity Designer is marketed as being extremely precise, but most times I do an operation that requires precision, it fumbles. It’s hands down the most imprecise vector tool I’ve ever used regularly.

The teams is aware of these two problems, yet solving them is not on the roadmap. I’d say the basics should be fixed before even thinking about adding more features.

For joining paths, I admit, I don't get quite that technical. I always use the Join Curves button for the two nearest end points, and then I change the shape manually. But since you're looking for exact values, I can understand your struggle.

Well there's good news. The booleans (pathfinder) are going to be updated; I believe it was said for version 1.6. It was discussed in another topic how there are too many nodes in the operations, and the staff said it will be addressed in a future version.

Just to be clear, there are more features on the roadmap than those listed on the roadmap topic. One of the staff members had said so, so I don't believe anything too critical like boolean operations not working properly will be ignored.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I am sorry. I meant for that to sound like a friendly remark. There was a bit of a debate going on above with a post Vitor received, so I wanted to add a little bit of a mood change since everyone is entitled to have their objections. My apologies.

For what it’s worth, I for one did read it as a remark to lift the mood, so thumbs up to that.

Well there's good news. The booleans (pathfinder) are going to be updated; I believe it was said for version 1.6. It was discussed in another topic how there are too many nodes in the operations, and the staff said it will be addressed in a future version.

Good news indeed, if it’s going to be as soon as version 1.6. I think they were already reworked once, so fingers crossed for it to be really fixed this time.

Just to be clear, there are more features on the roadmap than those listed on the roadmap topic. One of the staff members had said so, so I don't believe anything too critical like boolean operations not working properly will be ignored.

Yes, I do figure general bug fixing wouldn’t be part of the feature roadmap (not exactly feature, after all).

For what it’s worth, I for one did read it as a remark to lift the mood, so thumbs up to that.

I'm glad to hear it.  :)

Good news indeed, if it’s going to be as soon as version 1.6. I think they were already reworked once, so fingers crossed for it to be really fixed this time.

Yeah I hope it works out.

Yes, I do figure general bug fixing wouldn’t be part of the feature roadmap (not exactly feature, after all).

Not just bug fixes, but features as well. Line continuation for the Pencil Tool was also said to come to 1.6. When I asked why it wasn't on the roadmap, that is when the staff member told me about bonus features being included. There was another feature, but I forget.

I think this discussion is buried somewhere in the roadmap topic, but there are now over 40 pages, so ain't looking. Haha.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New to Affininty and working my way through. Just when that will happen is a ... Anyway I have a question and could not find a good place on this forum to ask it. 
Is there a "pattern" tool with this program, or do we have to go through some other doors to get there? If it's there can someone reveal it's hiding place.  Would like to see a tab along side the color, swatches, stroke, and brushes, or someplace were one can pick it up with out spinning a combination. 

Regards, and thanks for reading my rant.

Ken 

1 hour ago, KenA said:

New to Affininty and working my way through. Just when that will happen is a ... Anyway I have a question and could not find a good place on this forum to ask it. 
Is there a "pattern" tool with this program, or do we have to go through some other doors to get there? If it's there can someone reveal it's hiding place.  Would like to see a tab along side the color, swatches, stroke, and brushes, or someplace were one can pick it up with out spinning a combination. 

Regards, and thanks for reading my rant.

Ken 

Hello KenA and welcome to the Affinity forums.

There is currently no vector pattern option; only bitmaps. To use a bitmap pattern, you will need to use the Fill Tool (gradient) on an object and change the type to Bitmap. You can make a pattern from a bitmap image.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have to agree, raster fills in vector software doesn't cut it.  When a project requires a vector file, it's usually because they need the scalability of a vector.    This is major.

The symbols method is great for creating patterns, but sucks for actually using patterns.   

I have the same issue with brushes.  

Yeah I just realized recently this program doesn't have the ability to create vector-based pattern swatches? The little things right?... it's a pretty important function though and one of those small features we often take for granted. Considering how long PS/AI have been in the game though, it's going to take a while for all our favorite features of those projects to make it to these programs... I think just keep suggesting and eventually they'll make it into the list.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

There is a Replicate/Blend option on Designer's roadmap, and the Replicate Tool in DrawPlus was fantastic for vector patterns. Might Affinity secretly have something similar planned?

• 1 month later...

Add me to the list of people desperate for a vector pattern fill feature. This is not optional for me, it is essential for the work I do, and bitmap fills simply won't cut it. Please, please, please! Vector pattern fills as soon as possible. Really. Please drop everything else and work on that! Until I can do that, I'm stuck with Illustrator.