You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector patterns | swatches

Hope AD will provide vector based pattern | swatches. I like my fills sharp and crisp.

Find me on YouTube | Mensch Mesch | MeWe | Twitter | Pinterest

iMac27 5k 32 GB, MacBook Pro M1 | macOS 12.1 | iPad Pro2 | iOS 15.2

Affinity Designer 1.10.5 [macOS & iOS] | Affinity Photo 1.10.5 [macOS & iOS] | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree, Alfred. The scalable pattern fills and replicate tool makes DrawPlus very unique.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Same here. Not having vector pattern swatches is one of those things that prevents me from using Affinity Designer in a serious capacity.

I'm curious, everyone here is interested in vector patterns, but is that because you want to use existing swatches in AI docs, from web content, online stores? Or you wish to create your own? 

The scalable pattern fills and replicate tool makes DrawPlus very unique.

What’s unique about them, compared to Illustrator? I’ve never used DrawPlus, so I’m genuinely interested in what kind of innovative features it has for patterns.

I'm curious, everyone here is interested in vector patterns, but is that because you want to use existing swatches in AI docs, from web content, online stores? Or you wish to create your own?

Exclusively create my own.

What’s unique about them, compared to Illustrator? I’ve never used DrawPlus, so I’m genuinely interested in what kind of innovative features it has for patterns.

I've never used Illustrator, so I can't give you a comparison between the pattern-handling features in the two programs, but these articles from the DrawPlus X8 Help should give you some idea of its capabilities in the areas that 'bleduc' mentioned:

Working with vector fills

Making multiple copies using The Replicate Tool

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Sorry about the late response, Vitor. I didn't get notified of feedback for some reason.

I am a big time Illustrator user, but I prefer the pattern fills in DrawPlus. As oppose to each pattern being unchangeable like in Illustrator, DrawPlus has the ability to change the size, rotation, and skew of the pattern while the object is selected. I think this is a good technique for animating clothes. Using the same swatch in Illustrator to animate would look funky. And the replicate tool saves time from having to keep copying and pasting and keep each copy proportionately spaced.

Here are more details on them.

Edit: Are the videos showing up for anyone?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Videos aren’t loading for me.

Nor for me. There's just a big gap where the videos should be, but the element inspector in my browser (Firefox) gives me these URLs:

http://youtube.com/embed/gzv7SKijIoo?html5=1&fs=1(Vector Pattern Fills)

http://youtube.com/embed/i1ke8wx2y0U?html5=1&fs=1(Replicate Tool)

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks for doing that, Alfred. I edited my post again. I'm not sure why the videos weren't showing up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Copying each pattern block one by one is pretty tedious. Please allow for vector pattern swatches in AD! I would like a seamless way to produce patterns without having to copying and adjusting the placement of each layer. 

On that note, please allow import of Photoshop and Illustrator patterns as well. Vector is always better than raster for crisp and scalable graphics. The user can decide afterwards if they would like to rasterize it or not. Thank you!

I had to reread everything on this topic, since it's been a long time since my last reply.

Now it’s even more ridiculous that this feature does not exist. From the Affinity Designer for Windows video, 31 seconds mark:

Huh. Well that's certainly silly to include that in the video then.

I would like a seamless way to produce patterns without having to copying and adjusting the placement of each layer. 

On that note, please allow import of Photoshop and Illustrator patterns as well. Vector is always better than raster for crisp and scalable graphics. The user can decide afterwards if they would like to rasterize it or not. Thank you!

Are you familiar at all with bitmap patterns from the fill tool? You can import a design and make a pattern out of it. There is also an option called Power Duplicate that comes pretty handy.

Now it’s even more ridiculous that this feature does not exist. From the Affinity Designer for Windows video, 31 seconds mark:

AW9MXLI.gif

Seriously? A symbol repeated multiple times to fake a pattern?

I just bought AD, and when I saw this in the video, I really believed that it was about vector patterns. Can this be called "misleading advertising"? 

Patterns are basic elements of design, please fix this, please add vector patterns fill.

Please Please ... I need vector pattern fills and the ability to insert the patterns from Illustrator, so I can dump ADOBE for good.

That what your promotional ads promised.  Not having to use Adobe was the reason I bought this program.    

Windows user ... NEVER RENTING ON CLOUD!!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant,

Ginny

Seriously? A symbol repeated multiple times to fake a pattern?

I just bought AD, and when I saw this in the video, I really believed that it was about vector patterns. Can this be called "misleading advertising"? 

That what your promotional ads promised.  Not having to use Adobe was the reason I bought this program.  

Hello everyone. I did some exploring, and unfortunately, that feature in the promotion video is not a vector pattern, so there is nothing really misleading. It is an embedded symbol. I cannot test this for myself since my beta has expired (I'm waiting to get my new computer before I make my purchase), but here is a video on how to imitate what was shown in the promotion video. As I said, it is not a vector pattern, so you do have to make several duplicates.

It looks like we've all misunderstood this, but I guess we just made assumptions since this 'looks' like a pattern.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I just bought AF a few hours ago and wondering whether vector pattern swatch has been implemented in the newest AF update? Still learning my way through AF now. I need this feature badly, hoping AF already have this. Thanks.

Not only is it not implemented, it’s not even in the feature roadmap and this post hasn’t been officially acknowledged by the team.

I’d say there’s a good chance they’re not even going to see this. We need more people making noise for it.

Not only is it not implemented, it’s not even in the feature roadmap and this post hasn’t been officially acknowledged by the team.

I’d say there’s a good chance we’re not even going to see this. We need more people making noise for it.

I can assure you the devs know about this and they aren’t ignoring posters about this. This feature will be given a Serif treatment which you be sure it will be awesome. It will take time.

I can assure you the devs know about this and they aren’t ignoring posters about this.

They’re not very good at showing it (not referring to just this issue). A forum is one of the worst ways to handle bug reports and feature requests. I also remember reading from a member of the team (on twitter? a good while ago) that it was low priority and they weren’t even sure if they were going to build it.

I don’t mean to doubt you, but without official confirmation, it means little.

This feature will be given a Serif treatment which you be sure it will be awesome.

I’m not trying to be confrontational, but I’ll believe it when I see it. AD can’t even expand strokes correctly. It also can’t do incredibly basic things like pressing the space bar to temporarily move objects or be consistent with tabbing to move through fields, or have a decent pathfinder, or join points from different shapes. It also has substandard artboards which are little more than layers with a different name.

To someone who has never used their other apps (pre-Affinity) the “Serif treatment” is far from impressive. In fact, it is so frequently bad that I’d rather they didn’t give it the Serif treatment at all and just copied what works.

It will take time.

As does everything. But that is far from reassuring. The promise of a feature (and not even that, since again, there’s no official acknowledgement) does not mean it will be built. Especially when there’s no ETA and it’s something to do eventually. For all we know, it’ll be years before it is implemented.

For all we know, it’ll be years before it is implemented.

The fact that it isn't on the current 1.x roadmap does rather strongly suggest that it's more than just a few months away.

Alfred spacer.png