You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

batch renaming of export files-browser view?

To my knowledge, the only raw photo editor that offers a batch export and custom renaming is Adobe Lightroom.  I have to process and export large numbers of portraits, then rename them to custom class names, like 5E for example.  I have been looking into alternatives to lightroom. Luminar 4 has the features i need for image processing, but although you can filter, rate and export specific photos together within the program, you cannot rename them before exporting.

With affinity photo, i cannot see anyway to custom rename files either. Also, and this is a big big issue, there is no browser view,  unlike lightroom or luminar. this is an essential view point when working with multiple images. You need to be able to sync and paste image correction data to multiple files to speed up workflow, or go back and forth to make custom alterations.

• Staff

Hi ian kelsall,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo is more comparable to Photoshop (for RAW development and image editing mostly) than Lightroom which is geared towards photographer's workflows/needs. There's no browser view, or ways to apply the same settings to several photos from a photoshoot and similar functionality required by professional photographers for example. We may provide that later thought another app/dam manager.

3 hours ago, ian kelsall said:

raw photo editor that offers a batch export and custom renaming

Capture One can do this: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002529997-Rename-multiple-files-Batch-Rename-

As can On1 Photo RAW: https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000611012-ON1-Photo-RAW-Exposed-Batch-Rename

Those are both programs that are more comparable to Lightroom, where as @MEB pointed out, Affinity Photo is more comparable to Photoshop.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi ian kelsall,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo is more comparable to Photoshop (for RAW development and image editing mostly) than Lightroom which is geared towards photographer's workflows/needs. There's no browser view, or ways to apply the same settings to several photos from a photoshoot and similar functionality required by professional photographers for example. We may provide that later thought another app/dam manager.

It would be nice if I could drag multiple raw files into AF Photo and then, when AF photo opens them in RAW Develop, there is a panel on the left showing the imported photos. I can click "select all" to edit all of them at once. Or I can click "apply to all" or "apply to selected." If I want to only edit one at once, then I just start editing without clicking either of those buttons. When i'm done, I just click onto the next photo in the panel. This is how Photoshop Adobe Camera RAW does it. Here's a video: 

This is kind of important because, a lot of times, I need to match all of my photos for a project. I do Amazon product photography, so I need to ensure that all photos on a project have the same colors. Right now, I need to either memorize my settings or save a new preset for every single panel (basic, details, and tones). The problem with the preset is that I do a lot of projects. I'm starting to get too many presets saved.

18 hours ago, HuniSenpai said:

there is a panel on the left showing the imported photos

They actually would show up at the top as tabs instead.

People just don't seem to get this concept: Photo works with documents, just like a word processor works with documents.

An Affinity Photo document consists of one or more layers, and each layer may or may not be an imported photo.

You don't actually work with your photos in Affinity Photo - you work with a document whose contents happen to commonly include a copy of one of your photos (unless you are building one composite of several photos).

You switch documents by switching tabs along the top of the window (unless you are using the separated mode or the Windows equivalent of that in which case they may be separate windows).

Multiple photos means multiple documents which would be worked with separately, not listed together as a unit.

If you want to work across a number of photos, dealing directly with the photos, then you do not want a document-based photo editor such as Affinity Photo.  That is an entirely different type of program - totally different concept, totally different way of working.

The best workflow in general is to use a DAM-type solution or similar RAW processor with cataloging capabilities (ex. Capture One, DxO Photolab, On1 Photo RAW, Lightroom, Darktable, the not-yet-released-supposedly-coming-eventually Affinity DAM solution, various others) to do your organization and basic adjustments, then when you need to do more advanced editing to a particular photo than is readily supported by that RAW processor, transfer the developed photo to a document-based photo editor (Affinity Photo, Photoshop, GIMP, Pixelmator, etc.) to handle the more advanced editing tasks.

The fact that some of the RAW processors can do some editing and that some of the photo editors (such as Affinity Photo) have basic built-in RAW processing capabilities does not mean that either one is particularly well-suited to the primary tasks of the other - the RAW processing in Affinity Photo is limited to handling one photo at a time and does not provide for organization of the photos, and in most cases the resulting image quality will not compare to what is possible in dedicated RAW processing applications.  The editing capabilities of the RAW processors are generally going to be more limited and in some cases less efficient than the editing capabilities of a genuine editing application.

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

They actually would show up at the top as tabs instead.

People just don't seem to get this concept: Photo works with documents, just like a word processor works with documents.

An Affinity Photo document consists of one or more layers, and each layer may or may not be an imported photo.

You don't actually work with your photos in Affinity Photo - you work with a document whose contents happen to commonly include a copy of one of your photos (unless you are building one composite of several photos).

You switch documents by switching tabs along the top of the window (unless you are using the separated mode or the Windows equivalent of that in which case they may be separate windows).

Multiple photos means multiple documents which would be worked with separately, not listed together as a unit.

If you want to work across a number of photos, dealing directly with the photos, then you do not want a document-based photo editor such as Affinity Photo.  That is an entirely different type of program - totally different concept, totally different way of working.

The best workflow in general is to use a DAM-type solution or similar RAW processor with cataloging capabilities (ex. Capture One, DxO Photolab, On1 Photo RAW, Lightroom, Darktable, the not-yet-released-supposedly-coming-eventually Affinity DAM solution, various others) to do your organization and basic adjustments, then when you need to do more advanced editing to a particular photo than is readily supported by that RAW processor, transfer the developed photo to a document-based photo editor (Affinity Photo, Photoshop, GIMP, Pixelmator, etc.) to handle the more advanced editing tasks.

The fact that some of the RAW processors can do some editing and that some of the photo editors (such as Affinity Photo) have basic built-in RAW processing capabilities does not mean that either one is particularly well-suited to the primary tasks of the other - the RAW processing in Affinity Photo is limited to handling one photo at a time and does not provide for organization of the photos, and in most cases the resulting image quality will not compare to what is possible in dedicated RAW processing applications.  The editing capabilities of the RAW processors are generally going to be more limited and in some cases less efficient than the editing capabilities of a genuine editing application.

I know what you mean, and I feel the same way. I do a lot of infographics and design in AP, so the whole idea of a library or a DAM that i'm forced to use is annoying.

My only suggestion would be, upon dragging multiple raw files into AP, to import raw files into the same raw development persona and to show the different raw files on the left bar. Upon pressing "apply," it will open all of those raw files into separate tabs up at the top. 

This is a little bit funky, I know. But this is how Photoshop did it with Adobe Camera raw (that video I shared above). In the video I shared above, once you hit "done," all of the raw images will open up as separate documents in Photoshop (not as layers in the same document or anything like that). I know that, in the case of AP, it would be a little awkward because the develop persona typically works on one photo at once. Still, I think it could be a lot more powerful.

I get that AP is not for batch image processing like Lightroom. However, it would be nice to have some kind of way to apply the same adjustments to multiple raw images at once. The reason why I use AP over something like Lightroom is because, with Amazon and eBay product photography, I immediately have to start isolating the background and making more complicated adjustments. The color adjustment stage is really just a quick little thing that I would not want to switch to another program for. Although I have 16gb of RAM, I imagine my 30 tabs in Chrome + Affinity Photo + Lightroom + Spotify + more could be a little much. 

In short, when you drag multiple raw files into AP at once, it should pop up and ask you if you want to edit them separately or together. Or, maybe we could add this into the develop assistant. Again, I know it would be a little awkward with the design of AP, but boy would this be a handy feature. A lot of people would love to see this added, myself included. And it would ultimately not interfere with the way that AP works with discrete documents.