You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

after developing RAw CR2 displayed much darker than in development.

Hello,

after developing RAW images (CR2), they are displayed much darker than in development.
This is not a good thing because it means a lot of additional work. For this reason I only use the 1.7.3 version although the 1.8 would otherwise be better.

• Staff

Hey Andyneu,

There is currently an open issue logged with the developers where raw files appear to be unmanaged, making them appear darker than they should. Safely resetting the software should work around this.

I would like to confirm if this is the issue you are hitting. Could you please follow these steps and report back:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Type in %appdata%
  3. Go to Affinity\Photo and rename the 1.0 folder to 1.1
  4. Launch Affinity Photo
  5. Repeat the raw operation and see if the raw image is still dark

If that doesn't solve the issue, could you attach the raw file for me please? 

Hi Chris,

YES, your description will solve the problem. However, only for the first picture. From the second it is the same as before.
If I then look in the %appdata%, a new folder has been creappdataCorrection.JPG.953829162277dde2bd00b259d3a31e15.JPGated which is called 1.0 (beta) again and the 1.1 (beta) exists additionally. See attachement

before development.JPG

after development.JPG

• Staff

Ah that's annoying—we really need to find out what the cause is. I'll update the bug report with your info.

The new folder is created because you renamed the original one. Each time you launch the app, if that folder isn't present, we create one. 

The new folder is created because you renamed the original one. Each time you launch the app, if that folder isn't present, we create one. 

That is the Problem!!

Does minimizing the app and then maximizing it temporarily fix the dark preview?

will test it out tonight

Hi,

The error no longer occurred after I renamed the 1.0 (beta) to 1.1 (beta).
Then I edited a picture (raw).
After that both folders 1.0 (Beta) and 1.1 (Beta) were available again. Now I have completely deleted the folder 1.0 (beta).
After that, the error no longer occurred. I edited 10 raws. 5 consecutively
then AP Beta closed and restarted
then 5 pictures (Raw´s) edited. No more mistakes.
However, there are both folders 1.1 (Beta) and 1.0 (Beta) but no errors

I hope that this explanation provides some information about the error and contributes to the solution

• Staff

You will always have a 1.0 folder and a 1.1 folder. The 1.0 folder is created when there is no 1.0 folder present. The 1.1 folder contains your old appdata info and will remain until you delete it.

This is just a safe way of resetting the application. A quicker way is to hold ctrl when you open the app and click Clear but this doesn't back up your user data.

It sounds like you may have been affected by the issue we know about and I've seen some fixes going in for dark raws after a batch etc. so I'm hoping we won't see this going forward. 

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Raw files can get stuck in Unmanaged mode) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.