You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Copy - Paste into other applications

I am trying to copy text that has been converted to curves from Affinity Publisher into an application for a vinyl cutter (CutStudio).  Every time I paste it into the application, it tries to paste it as an image and not lines/curves.

I have PagePlus X9 installed and it works perfectly (Create text, convert to curves, select item(s)/Copy, paste into CutStudio and it comes in as lines/curves)...  I want to use Affinity Publisher as PagePlus is gone...  

Is this possible?  

Welcome to the forums Troy B.
Joachim_L’s tip above works for me on Windows going into Inkscape (haven’t tried other applications).
If this doesn’t work for you, for some reason, you can always Export as SVG – setting Area: Selection Without Background – and that should work, but it’s not as quick as Copy/Paste.

8 hours ago, Troy B said:

as PagePlus is gone...  

No it isn't!

It's still perfectly usable, it's just not being developed anymore. I still use it alongside APub.

If it "works perfectly" in PP just keep using it for now.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums Troy B.
Joachim_L’s tip above works for me on Windows going into Inkscape (haven’t tried other applications).
If this doesn’t work for you, for some reason, you can always Export as SVG – setting Area: Selection Without Background – and that should work, but it’s not as quick as Copy/Paste.

I’ve tried exporting it with all formats and still no go. With and without background. 
this is an odd one!

even pasting into serif page plus x9 only comes in as a picture. 

7 hours ago, PaulEC said:

No it isn't!

It's still perfectly usable, it's just not being developed anymore. I still use it alongside APub.

If it "works perfectly" in PP just keep using it for now.

True. I would rather switch completely to the current and much more advanced Software. Although, I may have to use PPX9 for designing for vinyl. 

2 minutes ago, Troy B said:

True. I would rather switch completely to the current and much more advanced Software. Although, I may have to use PPX9 for designing for vinyl. 

I agree that it would be nice to be able to switch exclusively to APub, but it still lacks several features that I need and are available in PP.
It doesn't look as though they will be added to APub any time soon, so I just use PP when I need to. 🙁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Without access to your document it’s difficult to say what’s happening but if you have used any Effects then that might be forcing the application to export at least part of it as an image. There could be other reasons too.
If you can’t share your file then a screen-grab of your Export dialog – along with the dialog you get after pressing the More... button – may help us to see what’s going on.

It would help, @Troy B, if you would provide your .afpub file so we can look at it. Or, if that file cannot be provided, if you would prepare a sample file that exhibits the same behavior, and provide that one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The file won't help. The problem are the other applications not understanding the content of the pastboard. When I copy something from Publisher to Indesign CS 6 I get an image. When I copy something from Publisher to Illustrator CS 6 I get vectors. So principally copy and paste is working, but not for all applications. If it works with PagePlus then Serif has changed the way the content is handled with the pasteboard. So I guess only Serif can tell.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Troy B is having two issues, one with Copy/Paste, the other with Export; quote “I’ve tried exporting it with all formats and still no go.”
Getting the file – or a sample which exhibits the same problem – should help us to see why the Export function isn’t working as expected with this document and that might help us to see why Copy/Paste isn’t working for the same document.