You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyphenation - BUG?

Don't know how much relevance this has, but a word gets only 2 hyphenations in multiple breaks.

Not relevant if its used in a longer text, but if its used for one word design than it only shows 2 breaks.

I know it can be made manually.

image.png.a1509a68341511d455b61535ccd830f0.png

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

24 minutes ago, Rondem said:

Don't know how much relevance this has, but a word gets only 2 hyphenations in multiple breaks.

You would need to increase the "Maximum number of consecutive hyphens" in the Hyphenation settings of the Paragraph Style or Paragraph panel, as it defaults to 2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I don't know how much relevance this has, but are you certain the word is spelled correctly?

It could be, in Spanish (and ignoring n accent). But it doesn't really matter :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The spelling doesn't effect that it can only break it 2 times. The settings don't give more than 2 breaks of the word.

Yes, the word was missing an s. Ironic that it was in word Professional :D

Have a look at Minimum Suffix. Change the value to 2 or 3 and you get another hyphenation. I guess Minimum Suffix means the number of characters followed after a (possible) hyphenation?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I logged this with our developers.

Was it a bug?

• Minimum suffix—determines the minimum number of suffixed letters each part of a word must contain if the word is split by auto-hyphenation.

There were only 3 letters left, so APu wasn't able to hyphenate according to Minimum suffix of 4? Perhaps my logic is broken this morning ...

EDIT: Wrong me. Hmm, there were 6 letters as suffix. So Minimum suffix is calculated from a possible hyphenation from the hyphenation dictionary or is it calculated plain from the remaining letters? If the last case, then it is a bug.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

The German Duden says that there are three. Perhaps we need to hyphenate more, because in German even simple words have so many letters. ;)

------

I see that its not a problem of the program. Have used other language and it showed additional hyphenation.

Thank you.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.